Automatic Transmission filter replacement

Hi all,

I drive a 2007 Mazda 6S V6 3.0 with a 6 speed automatic transmission. I would like to change the fluid on this transmission and I am wondering if these cars come with a transmission filter that needs to be replaced?

I can’t find any info on this except for one post made in the mazda6club forums.

Here is what one user said:

" Must split cases to replace filter, well at least on the AW6E-AL (six speed). Not sure when yours was born but it could have the 5spd or the 6spd. Both take a different fluid. Stick is in the front in plain sight. You sure you’re up for this? J/K!!!

An inline filter, maybe, not into anything but pan / drain plug magnets. For the most part, heavy bits settle to the bottom out of harms way, some collect in the filter. Anyway I think of in line magnets as death nail in the coffin as it equates to us throwing a clot // i.e. stroke. You don’t want it breaking loose. Buy a [drain plug magnet]if you must.

The OEM spec fluid for 6spd T-IV/3309 fluid doesn’t last 30,000 miles and burns. Replace it every 20,000 or less. I dumped 3 qts from mine, started it for maybe 4 seconds. Got another qt. It holds 7 so I got out more than 1/2."

The transmission needs to be disassembled in order to replace the filter.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2007,6,3.0l+v6,1434579,transmission-automatic,filter,8600

Tester

1 Like

My old truck with a 700R4 just looks better every day.

3 Likes

Wow what a stupid design.

3 Likes

And right next to that is the first manual transmission filter I’ve ever seen!

1 Like