Audio baby monitor for car break-ins

I heard a while back about people using audio baby monitors with 1000’ ranges (FHHS not wi-fi) to place in their car and keep the monitor in the house. A break-in could be heard on the “parent” monitor. Has anyone tried this or know of it? My problem is finding one that both the “parent” receiver and the “baby” monitor operate exclusively on batteries (rechargeable preferably). The “baby” monitors everyone I’ve seen need to be AC plugged. Thanks for any help or discussion. Also any DIY alternatives to baby monitors?

Your car didn’t come from the factory with a security system that sounds-off if a door is opened?
While I don’t normally recommend aftermarket security systems, if you live in a high-crime area, you should probably consider one.

Agree. and if you live in the city or highly populated area, you’re going to hear all the other baby monitors nearby. which will probably drown out any break-in sounds.

VDCdriver. I have a Gen 1 2000 CRV, so no it did not come with any security system. Thanks for the feedback though guys.

We have a set by Summer that we’ve had for 12 years. We still use it as a comm system for the top floor of the house. Both the handheld display and the camera can be run on batteries. The handheld is rechargeable and has a charging station. The cameras can be battery or AC adapter. You’d have to remove and recharge those batteries separately. I just looked, they still make similar systems with even more features that would help in car alarm application- low power sleep mode until sound detected etc.

However, unless you already have one, a new system is likely to be as expensive as a dashcam designed to do what you’re looking for…

Exactly what are you going to do if the monitor alerts you? Call the police so they can write a report? Go out and advise them to stop? Alarms that make noise are generally ignored.

What are you leaving in the car worth stealing?

1 Like

Mr. Google seems to know of lots of battery powered monitors . They just don’t last long on battery power so that makes more trouble than they are worth.

Is this the CRV that has serious paint problems ?

In principle you could use a small 12VDC to 120VAC inverter; and power that from a 12V “cigar lighter” or OBD comm port.

Is there a correlation between theft and auto body paint?

It seems like a pretty good idea to me. Even better if vdo was recorded, would make it easier for police to prosecute. Hopefully if OP figures a way to do this, OP won’t go out to car if theft in progress spotted. Phone police instead.

OP, if you make any progress, let us know.

I’m not certain about paint problems in the 1997-2001 Gen 1s, but had my painted in 2016. The problem was the clear coat going bad.

thanks George_San_Jose 1. I got the idea from someone, somewhere on the internet a few years back. The baby monitors with video/audio require the “baby” monitor to be plugged into AC while the “Parent” receiver operates on batteries or AC. Saw someone on Amazon asking if a particular Vtech DM221 BM could be adapted to DC for use in a car, but he got no replies.

Good point. I guess call PD.

Maybe the thief is stealing the paint one flake at a time? :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve seen other monitors by the same brand that claim a 19hr battery life, You’d have to try it out to see if the range is really enough, bought a wireless doorbell to try out at the church and we managed 1/2 of the ideal range, with more or less line of sight between the two devices

Then save the cost of the monitor. Your stuff or your entire car will be long gone before the PD arrives. The PD is only there to fill out the paperwork.

I think the question to me about the paint on the Gen 1 CR-V was just curiosity unrelated to the theft issue.
Anyway, thanks for the input.

Just stick with the AC powered baby monitor transmitter and connect it to the car battery. Then you won’t have to worry about charging. Most of those take DC anyway and come with an AC to DC adapter. It might even be 12 Volts and you won’t need a separate regulator.

You can buy an infrared motion detector that operates on batteries. It will transmit to the receiver and play a chime when it detects motion. You can put that it your car. Harbor Freight sells it. Theirs seems to only detect motion directly in front of the device. It’s not very sensitive. That might be a good thing to not have people outside trip the alarm. I have an old infrared motion detector chime that is more sensitive. I have the one from HF. Haven’t fully tested the range, but it isn’t bad. Probably not 1000’ though. Not all of the wireless infrared motion alarms and doorbells have good range. I got a wireless doorbell from a big box store that only worked up to about 50ft. Not the several hundred claimed.

I guess you better leave the doors unlocked to not have broken windows. It’s only a few seconds from breaking the glass to opening the door anyway.

The longer range FHSS 2.4GHz stuff almost completely knocks out wifi connections. I hate that.

thanks for the tip. sounds like a good idea.

TheWonderful90s
February 21 |

• | - |

Just stick with the AC powered baby monitor transmitter and connect it to the car battery. Then you won’t have to worry about charging.

You can buy an infrared motion detector that operates on batteries. It will transmit to the receiver and play a chime when it detects motion. You can put that it your car. Harbor Freight sells it. Theirs seems to only detect motion directly in front of the device. It’s not very sensitive. I have an old infrared motion detector chime that is more sensitive. I have one. Haven’t fully tested the range. Not all of the wireless infrared motion alarms and doorbells have good range. I got a wireless doorbell from a big box store that only worked up to about 50ft. Not the several hundred claimed.

You might

I need to learn to get my post right before submitting and not rely on editing it for 10 minutes afterward. Problem is all the previous posts are stuck in a small window that is very hard to scroll when I’m wiriting my post.