Audi A6 Check Engine Light is on and Dealer says "there's no solution for the problem"

My 2014 Audi A6 is running fine, but the check engine light has come on twice. I brought it to the dealer and they said that the “fuel level sensor circuit range/performance” is the problem, but that Audi does not have a solution for this problem! Weird that they have an indicator light for something they can’t fix. They assure me that it’s nothing to worry about, but I’m not feeling very reassured by Audi these days. They reset the engine light, but it came back on again. Does this sound right? Any other ideas?

No, it isn’t right.

Your paperwork came with a process for pursuing problems above level of the dealer. Follow it.

Meanwhile, keep everything well documented and research your state’s Lemon Law (if your state has one). Prepare to seek a replacement vehicle if it satisfies the Lemon Law criteria and you’re unable to get it fixed. A CEL light can be an indication of a vehicle that cannot be driven without self destructing. On that basis, the CEL could be considered as making the vehicle undrivable.

Unless Audi fixes it, do not hesitate to seek legal representation.

Great advice, TSM.

Most times they will change the sensor and go from there. They must have had some failures with that process and are reluctant to work out a solution. Remember, a fancy car has fancy problems. Maybe it’s just fancy prices to fix them. It seems like a bad sign when the dealers refuse to fix their own cars. This could be the beginning of a bad trend or just localized laziness.

As always, make sure the engine and body are grounded properly to each other with the wire provided for that purpose. It could be a solution to this and future strange electrical things.

The other problem is, this may be the reason the MIL is on right now, but when it stays on for that reason, there could be other issues masked by the light’s being on for the original problem. Some of those other issues could be serious.

Elevate the problem as suggested above.

I doubt a “lemon law” will do you much good on a car pushing two years old.

I agree with MG McAnick about the Lemon Law possibly not being applicable as that usually covers the first year of ownership.

I also agree with elevating the problem in regards to warranty. Contact the regional office and get them involved in this.
Offhand, it sounds like an issue with the fuel tank sending unit resistance but that’s only a guess and based on no wiring schematic to peruse.

The one sticky point might be if the problem is related to a tank unit and if that unit has been affected by the wrong fuel type or some kind of additive poured into the tank.
In a case like that denial of any warranty would be valid.

You imply there will not be a fix for this. Is that what you were told?

I have had cases where the manufacture places a part on hold that would seem to resolve the problem. It is then necessary to call technical assistance to release the part but the manufactures techs state that replacement of that part wont fix the problem, a software update was being developed to cure the problem. This usually takes 4 to 6 weeks. However some customers would return every three days to report the check engine light is on again. I don’t know where the communication break down was, the service writers sometimes lack the courage to be direct with the customers.

If the vehicle warranty is still valid, meaning it still covers this problem, then the Lemon Law should remain valid.

However the dealer must “attempt to fix the problem” a given number of times (usually 3) for you to now have a case that you can pursue. If the dealer says there is no fix and does not attempt to repair it three times, then you’ll need to pursue some other form of legal route.

Yes. bump this up to the next level. It’s important to get this fixed.

In many states, the car will not pass inspection if that light is on.

In many states, the car will not pass inspection if that light is on.

Absolutely right! It also makes it darn near impossible to SELL the car! I hope for the OP’s sake that this is a leased car!

+1 to what BillRussell and Mustangman stated.
Even if the actual cause of a CEL being lit up is “relatively” minor, just the presence of that glowing light will cause a vehicle to fail its emissions inspection. So, if the OP lives in a state that does emissions testing, this is actually a very significant issue.

But, no matter where the OP lives, I think it is time for him/her to contact Audi of America and make it clear that this problem needs to be resolved. While I have no actual experience with Audi, most manufacturers will have the corporate zone rep take a look at the car. These folks have the ability to…motivate…dealerships to do the right thing, and in some cases to provide technical knowledge that the dealership’s mechanics are lacking.

Try some Techron in the tank. For fuel level sensor ( the rheostat with the float in the tank ) effected by too much sulfer content…we put a bottle of techron in the gas.
Don’t know what problem precipitates your cel…but…
It has solved many mis-reading gas gauges in the past…including MINE !

Left here on a 140 mile trip showing 180 Miles-To-Empty on the readout and the needle.
Halfway ther I knew I had an issue as it showed 170 mte. I knew I wouldn’t run out and I knew it was wrong.
Got to Albuqueque showing 160 mte and knew better so as not to head home with a mis-leading mte.
After the doctor appointment I easily spotted an Auto Zone and nabbed a bottle of Techron…went to fill up and put in the Techron…and VoilA’…it’s worked fine ever since.

@reen, does your A6 have the 2L gasoline or the 3L diesel engine?

My father used to say “any problem can be solved if you are willing to put forth the time,effort and enough cash”.

Diesel or gas? It sounds like the first thing to do is to check the level of your DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fkuid) or adBlue.