ATF Question - Honda/Acura DW-1?

I have a 2014 Acura TSX with 4 Cylinder 2.4 L engine and automatic transmission. I had a question about ATF, was going to do a drain and refill. I see in ShopKey it states:

“Always use Acura ATF DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Using a non-Acura ATF can affect shift quality.”

Is this accurate? I don’t know if it’s similar to engine oil claims by manufacturers that say “Only use Toyota oil”, to promote their product and make you buy it. Different oils have different additivities and friction modifiers, but as long as it meets the specification, I’m not sure that it would really matter.

I was planning on using Amsoil OE FUEL-EFFICIENT SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (https://www.amsoil.com/p/oe-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-otl/?code=OTLQT-EA), which I already had laying around. It claims to meet Honda/Acura DW-1 specification, so I should be ok?

Not sure how it works in this industry, but I would assume that there’s some sort of requirements specification specifying minimum properties and characteristics along with a test procedure that needs to be performed in order to meet the DW-1 specification. Shouldn’t any DW-1 oil work? Or is it really not worth it in this situation, and suck it up and buy the OEM fluid.

Thanks for any clarification on this matter.

It is well known that Honda /Acura should use factory ATF, they have had some fragile trannys. I would only use it.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I think I’ll go ahead and get it then. Just out of curiosity, what about Honda/Acura transmissions make them fragile and different than others, that you have to use only OEM fluid. Seems like a huge negative, that it would be so picky, that it would specify a particular brand of fluid to be used, and if a different one is used, can result in problems.

I mean it’s only a few bucks more, so no big deal, just trying to understand what makes them so fragile and particular on what fluid to use.

Honda transaxles are unlike most if not any other transmissions, use the correct ATF… They a basically a manual with clutch packs…

1 Like

Like the man said, always use Honda/Acura fluid. How many quarts of it do you need to buy? How big a deal is that?

Here’s one more vote for the OEM fluid. Honda makes good engines, but their transmissions don’t have the same reputation.

2 Likes

Requiring Honda/Acura specific fluid would be a “huge negative” if you had to change the fluid frequently. But most folks only have to change it handful of times during the life of the car, or at least the time they own the car.

I recall there was some experimental stealth jet (maybe the Aurora?) that the government was building. Supposedly the jet used some kind of super exotic fuel that was too pricey even for the “unlimited checkbook” of the US military.

Now that’s a “huge negative”, since you’d have to use the rare/expensive fuel regularly.

One final note…it’s likely this vehicle is long out of the factory warranty period. You can use whatever fluid you like. But given the reputation of Honda/Acura transmissions, and the negligible price difference, and the potential cost of a new transmission… I’d stick with the OEM stuff myself.

1 Like

Thanks. Just to ask the question here. Is there a difference between Honda DW-1 ATF and Acura DW-1 ATF?

I’ll go ahead and get the Acura labeled one, just wondering if it’s know to be a sticker swap and the same fluid?

Believe it or not the Acura DW-1 is cheaper at the dealership then the Honda DW-1 which I was surprised about lol

Also I called O Riley, Advance Auto, and Auto Zone, none of them carry the Acura or Honda DW-1, just other fluids with out the Acura or Honda label on it that claim to meet the DW-1 specification.

I’ll go out on a limb and say they are the same. I’ve gotten Honda labeled items at Acura.

Sounds like you might be wearing your welcome thin at the local stores though too. Most of us would not think to call and ask oreily if they carry Acura fluids. Of course not. Like calling a ford dealer and asking if they carry Gm parts. Just sayin is all. A little common sense or a walk through the stores would make things obvious.

Today’s “Dear Car Talk” column is about Honda fluid specs for their cars that are configured w/ rear differentials. Doesn’t pertain specifically to OP’s question, but it might be helpful to read what Ray says there. There’s a link to the column on the main Car Talk page. Click Car Talk upper left this page, then scroll down to find the column.

I don’t know if I got the right article or not but we were advised at the new owners gathering, to replace the differential fluid at the first 10,000 miles, then with the transmission and transfer case after that. So I’ve done that every 30,000 at the dealer. A little over $125 every 30,000. So not a big deal but the consequences are expensive if ignored.

It’s titled something like “Certain cars require more diligent maintenance”. It’s weird that the Honda rear differential fluid has to be replaced so frequently. No idea why. Ray’s article inspired me to replace my truck’s rear differential fluid, so that’s a good thing.

Honda CRV’s have had the rear differential noise since at least the 2nd generation, we had a 2007 that had the noise occur but the minder didn’t pop up for that service. Honda may have reprogrammed the minder to be more cautious compared to the real time 4wd equipped CRV"s.

My 81 olds with posi traction had the chatter on sharp turns. The fix was to add a bottle of what they called whale oil. Dump it in, do d some figure eigts and no more chatter for a hundred k or so. They said the chatter was a lack of lubricity on the cones or something.

You had to add friction modifier, needed for most any posi traction rear end (no matter what the name was) and you may not want to know what that oil really was… lol

I know it wasn’t olive oil. Smelled terrible. After he retired my dad worked for the caddy olds dealer. He’d often be sent out to dump a bottle in a leased new car the do a few figure 8s with it, and everyone was happy.

If you don’t know what it was you can PM me as it would probably get flagged on here… :rofl:

Or google it…

Friction modifier is the more generic name for it, helps the oil stick to all the metal parts so you don’t wear them out or hear chatter. Limited Slip Axle Lubricant is Delco’s name for it.

Yes my 2024 owner manual says to use Toyota brand fluids

Yea they say that so you buy their products, more money for them

However in this case, DW-1 requirements appears to be intellectual property of Honda/Acura. I tried searching for the requirements specification or test procedure, and couldn’t find them.

Makes you wonder how other manufactures claim to meet the specification that make ATF that meets the specification if it is not available to the public. Maybe they had to buy the DW-1 specification and test procedures, who knows.

It’s not like 5W-30 oil , but a Honda/Acura specification that I can’t find.