Astro van fuel problems?

My 2000 astro van quit while driving. It cranks but won’t start. I changed fuel filter, checked fuel line on the ‘out’ side of filter and was ok. I listened for pump and was ok. I removed doghouse and checked schrader valve and gas came out when I turned key on and it started immediately. I ran it for a while turning it off and on. It was able to start again after a couple of hours. I let it set overnight and now won’t start-just cranks. Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Try turning the ignition switch on so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts the problem is with the anti-drainback valve on the fuel pump.

Tester

@astro270‌

You said you took the doghouse off and depressed the schrader valve and fuel shot out . . .

That’s fine

But did you hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the test port?

You should have 58-60psi key on, engine off

These CSFI engines with the spider fuel injector assembly are real sensitive to fuel pressure. If you’re even a few psi low, they often won’t start

So, after almost a week of troubleshooting and coming up with nothing and getting ready to check fuel pressure, I had it running and increased throttle. It ran rough and I heard sparking. It was coming from the ignition coil wire coming in contact with a piece of metal running through the engine compartment. I rearranged the wire and sleeve and now runs fine. Could this have had anything to do with it quitting, and should I be concerned that it was sparking in the first place?

@astro270‌

This is actually a fairly common problem with the coil wire

You should actually replace the wire, and you’ll be fine

Where is #5 spark plug on 2000 astro? I now have several things to take care of, such as a misfiring #5 plug and an egr problem. I’m hoping to get away with just cleaning and installing screen in valve (if there’s none in it). Any suggestions on cleaning the valve?

#5 plug is the last one on the driver’s side

The one closest to the firewall

As for that misfire, are you sure it’s not the CSFI injection system?

Plugged poppet injectors are quite common on your engine

not sure. I’m only going in the plug direction b/c that’s what code was pulled (also the egr valve).

P0305 means misfire #5 cylinder

A misfire could also be caused by low compression, plugged injector, etc.

Heads up!