1998 Chevrolet Astro won't start

My Astro van won’t start I have changed the fuel pump, check the fuel filter also, the fuel pressure going into my motor. The fuel pressure is 60 PSI when the key is turned. Fuel filters clear. So I went to start with the electrical at this point I had a mechanic tell me I wasn’t getting fire. Said that my starter solenoid was bad or it could be the module. I replaced both still having the same no start problem. Replaced my distributor though not the cap or the rotor bug. Still no start, I have power going into all three and I am at a loss. I don’t know where to go from here and I don’t know what else to check. fuses have already been checked. can anyone help?

Do you have spark? . . . “wasn’t getting fire” sounds like no spark?

You can buy a spark tester at any parts store for a few bucks

Is it cranking over?

It sounds like your mechanic is clueless . . . those Astros aren’t that hard to diagnose

After you replaced the distributor, did you make sure the marks were correctly lined up?

If it is in fact NOT cranking over, the first thing you do is see if you can turn the engine over manually, with a 1/2" breaker bar and the appropriate sized socket?

If it does, good, that means your engine is not frozen

if it is cranking over and you do have spark, perform a compression test, wet and dry

1 Like