Are LED headlights ethical?

On other option I question is UV protection on eyeglass lenses. UV protection goggles use polycarbonate lenses, and most (all?) plastic eyeglass lenses are polycarbonate. The lenses in my glasses are thicker than the polycarbonate in UV goggles. Why should I pay extra for something I don’t need?

Not all, but most. You still have to pay extra for polycarbonate, and people who don’t want to or can’t go with CR-39, which does require a UV coating.

But there’s misinformation out there. I have a significant correction and have gotten polycarbonate since they became available. I’ve had people at glasses stores tell me I need the UV coating because plastic lenses don’t block it like glass ones did, and some of them have looked genuinely worried when I declined.

Ultraviolet radiation is believed to contribute to cataracts and macular degeneration. With that in mind, I see the benefit of long-term protection.

Choosing sunglasses: Is UV protection important? - Mayo Clinic.

There are a LOT of fake reviews that are posted on Amazon, and in almost every case, they are the positive ones:

Yeah, but polycarbonate naturally blocks 100% of UV up to 380nm. Adding a UV coating is pointless, beyond being able to charge customers for it.

Sunglasses are a different story, because non-prescription ones that aren’t safety glasses are often a much cheaper plastic which does not block UV. For those you absolutely should get the coating.

Before I needed prescription glasses I bought regular sunglasses. From what I found then was MOST blocked UV. Maybe the ones you’d buy at WalMart didn’t. But any decent sunglasses these days (and 25 years ago) all blocked UV. I even have ski goggles that block UV.

1 Like

Are your current headlights (clear part and reflector) in great shape? Or do they need polishing? If I wanted more light, I’d make sure my housings were good, and I’d put in a pair of Sylvania Silverstars.

They look brand new still. I’ve also tried Silverstars and noticed no difference over a cheap basic bulb.

No surprise, considering they put out only 4% more (total) light compared to the basic long life bulb, according to BulbFacts.com
Even the expensive Silverstar Ultra only puts out 4% more, with less than half the life of a standard bulb.

You have projectors. Try the bulbs

Thank you for your post. I understand the problems with UV light, and have used it for years at work. The attached graph shows how little UV is transmitted by polycarbonate compared to glass an another generic plastic. Not that only long wave UV is transmitted, and then only a little. Longer wavelength light is visible, and the very long wave UV is not dangerous.

1 Like

I am trying them to see what happens. Not throwing away my halogens though.

If I was using polycarbonate lenses, they’d be about 3/8" thick. Thank goodness for light weight high index lenses.

The major issue I see with these LEDs shown here is the color temperature. 6500K is way too high and will night blind oncoming drivers. There are regular LED lightbulbs made for home use that are either 2700K or 4000K so the headlights could also be made in these wavelengths, 2700k would be the most preferable.

BTW, night blindness relates to the length of time it takes your eyes to recover their night vision after exposure. You could be blinded by an overly bright, poorly aimed 2700K light but you would recover your night vision far quicker after the oncoming vehicle passes by then if it has 6500K headlights.

As for the cops advice, a cop may not be able to write a ticker for overly bright headlights simply because they don’t carry the necessary equipment to measure headlight output. But if they decide that your headlights are a hazard to oncoming traffic, they can ticket you. That ticket will cover a number of issues like over bright to improper aim without specifying what the actual issue is.

2 Likes

If your eyes are that bad at night have you been checked for cataracts ? That is a telltale sign when night vision is bad and you are getting halo’s around your field of vision .

1 Like

Just astigmatism actually. LEDs are terrible when they hit me in the eyes but honestly I can’t recall being specifically blinded more by LED than Halogen.

I just realized that all the ads on this forum have changed to Zenni Optical lol

1 Like

Some people are more sensitive to bright light regardless of whether they cataracts or not.

1 Like

maybe the OEM ones are. but the after market ones on headlights without a lamp are just horrible. I understand why they are illegal in some countries.

I do a lot of business with them. For the price of one pair of glasses at the mall, I can get 4-6 pairs of glasses from Zenni (depending on the type of prescription). The only downside is that you have to type in your prescription and you need to find your PD (pupillary distance), which isn’t easy to measure, but if you have those values, and double check your data entry, the glasses are a great bargain. I’ve had the lenses checked by local opticians, and they are spot on for my prescription.

There are also other websites where you can order inexpensive glasses from China if you don’t want to use Zenni, but they’ve always done right by me. Whenever I get a new prescription, I order computer glasses I can leave at work and a pair I can leave at home. I order a pair or two of polarized tinted lenses, and a pair or two of bifocals so I always have a spare if I break the ones I’m wearing. I might throw some business to a local optician if I want new lenses for some old nicer frames, but I get those at BJ’s. Costco has them too, but they’re more expensive.

2 Likes