Are any vehicles affected by Y2K38? It's now less than 14 years until January 19, 2038

You’re Welcome. There were tens of thousands of us Software Engineers working on the problem years before 2000 so there wasn’t a problem. The problem was very real.

2 Likes

And I thank you and everyone involved as well, and I will thank all of you that will take care of the issue(s) for the Y2K38 thingy also…

The way I see it, there are lots and lots of very wealthy people, business’s and government that do not want to loose everything from some kind of computer crash (or whatever y’all call it), so whatever has to be invested to make sure it doesn’t happen will be invested so the really smart people can do what they do to make sure people like me never know there was even an issue…

I am sure since we are talking about a Y2K38 problem, there are already people somewhere looking into ways to fix it before it happens…

Reminds me of that song I fought the law and the law one. I fought the main frame folks and they usually won. They had many ways to control power and used it. Of course now they act all enlightened but I’m gone. I remember one my first encounters with Deb. She exclaimed, you’re trying to set up a distributive network and I said yeah, and she hung up.

Most of the problem has already been fixed. The latest Linux and Unix operating systems already have the fix. Apple’s OIS is Unix base and they already have a fix.

It’s the small one-offs like embedded systems that may be a problem.

2 Likes

They just keep kicking the can down the road. 64 bit systems will have an issue again in a mere 300 billion years. Those guys are in for it then :grinning:

There are some interesting potential options for legacy systems including, but not limited to, pushing the offset forward in time, reducing resolution and so on. Joking aside, the tendency for business to “kick the can down the road” means they will likely choose the least expensive fix to keep the existing embedded hardware running versus modernize it. Then, it becomes someone else’s problem after I’m gone… :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not going to work on that fix.

I was one of those folks working for IBM. Since we are international, we closely watched Australia, Japan, India and Germany. When there were no problems there I headed out to a fabulous party. I’m retired now, but there are still problems interpreting 2-digit years. Is '24 1924 or 2024? Most systems just require 4-digit years for things like birthdays.

Back when this all started - diskspace was very expensive. A 50mb (million bytes) disk drive cost about $30k. Now you can buy a 2tb (trillion bytes) disk drive for under $150.