Tired of the computer stuff: seeking recommendations

I’m getting tired of all this computer stuff in cars. Can you recommend me year, model and makes?

1 Like

Yes I can . A 1932 Ford Model T .

9 Likes

My old 1977 Corolla didn’t have one but I doubt you’ll find one in running condition. Basically, you’ll have to go back several years to get what you want. I understand the sentiment but most of us just live with computers in our vehicles.

Several DECADES, not years. cars have had computers in them since the 1980s

6 Likes

Get a motorcycle. There will be a lot less computer controls on them. You can’t get away from computers as long as there is emissions control.

1 Like

+1
In addition to the likelihood that a 30+ year old car is not likely to be in good shape–either in terms of mechanical aspects or body integrity–there is also the reality that the cars of yesteryear were not as safe, were usually not as powerful, did not handle as well, frequently had brakes that weren’t very good, and (in many cases) were not as economical as modern cars are.

Trust me, cars don’t improve with age the way that wine does. If a car was underpowered, with marginal brakes, sloppy handing, and so-so fuel economy, it hasn’t improved over the decades. :wink:

6 Likes

Agree. Embrace technology…far superior then what it use to be.

4 Likes

True, fewer but there is still an engine computer since many are now fuel injected and the ABS computer since many not have ABS.

Very true!

Those that learn to use the technology affectively, lose their fear of it. Cars may be more complicated but they’ve never had so much help built into them to help the technician repair them when they need it.

1 Like

If you want computer free you need to go back prior to 1981 as that was the year ECMs took over. Further than that on some European and Asian cars.

I wouldn’t mind having my 1972 black on black Monte Carlo back. Simple, great driver, reliable, and would get 21 MPG on the road; which is not bad for a RWD near 2 ton car with a carburetor.

Even motorcycles are using fuel injection. Harley introduced it in 1995 and it became standard by the mid 2000s. BMW introduced FI on motorcycles in 1983 so it’s nothing new.

Yeah, I thought those would be present. The auto alert and automatic driving features are more what I thought would be missing with motorcycles. I’m ecstatic about the engine management improvements that computers allow. Modern fuel injection and variable valve timing are light years better than the throttle body injection of the 1970s.

2 Likes

Instead of focusing on one aspect like computers look for brands with a good reputation for reliability.
Then look within those brands for models and years that are relatively trouble free.
Take a look at sites like carcomplaints.com
Avoid the first year of a new generation.
Consider the base level trim. They’re simpler.

I think 1-3 years old is the sweet spot for a used car.
Long enough to weed out early failures and amass reliability data, young enough to avoid neglect.

I’ve had 30+ years of trouble free vehicles following these rules.

3 Likes

To circuitsmith’s wise counsel I’d add, check Consumer Reports data on reliability, as well as their other cautions and recommendations.

2 Likes

Would help if you dialed in on type of car. Sedan? Truck? Minivan? American? Asian? European. Budget?

The person just wants a vehicle without a computer so it does not matter what type this Luddite wants .

6 Likes

+1
Since the OP wants a vehicle that is at least 30 years old, my advice for him is to carefully check the availability of parts for any prospective purchases before buying. If he thinks that computers are a problem, just imagine how much of a problem he will have when that old car needs its inevitable long list of repairs and some of the parts are no longer available.

3 Likes

I read once that you could build a new 1940 Ford from all the reproduction parts on the market.

1 Like

If and when I ever get a ‘classic’ car, the first thing I’ll do is ADD computers - electronic ignition, for sure, maybe electronic fuel injection for fun.

5 Likes

Well, then a 1932 Ford can be built without any Ford parts. Same for a 1967 Mustang. 1969 Camaros can be built without any GM parts as can a 1955-57 Chevy.

A relatively cheap choice is a Shelby Cobra. Kits that use a Mustang donor (sans computers!) can be built for about $35,000 with lots of sweat equity. Not such a great choice if the weather is not perfect. :star_struck:

Lots of options to build without computers… its just gonna cost ya more than a car WITH computers.

That is probably true, as it is for virtually all older Fords. But, for many other makes/models that are 30+ years old, that would not necessarily be true.

My 81 Olds diesel didn’t have much for computers but we know how that ended. I have some experience with '40 Fords and no one in their right mind would assemble a 40 Ford from new old stock parts, today. Brakes, engine, trans, glass, paint, seat stuffing, etc. would all be of current technology. It may look like a '40 Ford, but that would be all and it likely would have air conditioning and power windows.

To answer the question though in a somewhat serious tone, rather than getting a car that is easy to work on, flip the whole scenario and get one that you don’t have to work on at all. Just buy or lease a new car while the rates are down and let someone else do the work. When the warranty runs out, trade. To paraphrase what a famous doc told me once about trying to catch the wind, looking for a dependable car without computers is like trying to catch the wind. OK, I’ll delete the last line so as not to rile anyone up- “deleted”.

1 Like