Apple CarPlay

Then there’s something special about that vehicle or the head unit chosen. Below is the installation kit for a Kenwood head-unit for my 2014 Highlander. If I chose a different head-unit the installation gear is different and the rear camera isn’t supported. But it’s clearly supported for my vehicle and the Kenwood unit. Things like Satellite radio isn’t supported because the radio I chose doesn’t support it.

I was using the 2018 Forester (OP’s vehicle) and a middle of the road Kenwood head unit that supports Carplay and phone-based navigation apps (Waze) in the example I posted. I also tried Pioneer , Sony, and Alpine head units and the install kits all seem to support (and not support) the same features. So it may be something about the OP’s vehicle that the aftermarket either can’t or isn’t willing to accommodate.

I gave you a link to the video on the device. It clearly exists. Crutchfield just doesn’t sell it so they want to sell you a head unit.

That is a possibility. I was also surprised when I looked at head units for my Highlander, that some of the kits didn’t support rear camera. So could be either or both. I too looked for the unit for the Forester…however you really need to know the factory options to get an exact replacement.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are fantastic. The benefits go way beyond Waze, but that and Google Maps are the two things most folks want to use them for. I own a Forester the same generation as yours and I know that it cannot be added. The new generation of Subaru’s models all have both Android and Apple CarPlay. I do have a work-around though. I added a simple phone mount to the top of my dash. I can now view Waze and Google Maps perfectly. I put mine in front of the “top” second display that shows you stuff like MPG and Temp. It works great. Here is a story I did that may be helpful to you. I also suggest that you upgrade your power. The USBs in the Forester are very weak. I bought a simple 12-volt to USB converter and I find that it charges the phone much faster. The USB could not even keep my phone charged up, never mind gain any power. The adapter USB powers it up while I use Android Auto.

1 Like

Maybe a bit off topic, but funny thing about that. Last year BMW announced that they’d implement an annual fee for CarPlay, ostensibly for “keeping the software updated” (nevermind that the updates occur on the phone rather than the car’s display). About 6 months later after enough customers complained, they reversed course - turns out there’s even a limit to how much BMW customers will tolerate being fleeced. :wink:

1 Like

That is funny. Thanks.