2019 Subaru Forester - iPhone

I own a 2019 Subaru Forester. I will be purchasing a new I-Phone and need to know what versions are compatible with my car.

Cars are usually behind the cell phone industry by a few years. There are Subie owners here, there are iPhone users here, not sure if they are the same folks.

@GorehamJ maybe??

1 Like

On the right side of the page in the link you will find “Bluetooth compatibility”, enter your vehicle and phone data;

1 Like

Nevada FTW! I uspect any modern phone will work. I love the Apple CarPlay feature in the new Foresters. Wish my '16 had it.

Yes, but that isn’t true for every new make and model. In the annual Auto Issue of Consumer Reports, they listed the compatibility of a lot of models, and some of them had only Apple CarPlay, and others had only Android Auto. IIRC, the new Rav-4 has AppleCarPlay, but not Android Auto, and as far as I am concerned, that would be a deal-breaker.
:thinking:

Yes, true. I would not buy any new vehicle without Android Auto. So, for me, that eliminates every BMW and Toyota model. Those are really the only 2 major brands that are behind the curve. Almost every vehicle I test now has both, with the exception of the rare bare bones base trim on some models.

A vehicle having Android or Apple is not even on my list of things I care about. I have a flip phone and I don’t want to talk to anyone while I am driving.

Toyota (and Lexus) are starting to add Android Auto slowly now.

If you’re that concerned about safety, then I’ll point out that it’s a safety benefit to have a consistent and simple interface for maps and music no matter what car you’re in (even a rental if you’re lucky).

1 Like

I didn’t know Toyota had added Android Auto to any model. Which have it now? That are presently on sale?

Very true. And Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have proven to be less distracting in testing vs. “native” OEM systems.

I don’t think any of these are on sale quite yet, but see this page:

https://www.android.com/auto/toyota/

Very helpful! Thanks. Strange that none of the top-selling 2020s are listed (RAV4, Corolla, Camry). You’d think the system would be the same from vehicle to vehicle.

Mr. Lion 9 - not sure where you get the safety part out of my post. I just don’t want to talk to anyone while I am in my car . Actually I don’t really want to talk to anyone outside my home . We have a portable Magellan GPS that can work in any vehicle and a IPOD for music . So that means the operating system in a vehicle is not something I worry about.

Fine, to each his own. Since this thread started with a question from a person who wanted to know a specific piece of information, it would be better to remain silent if you have nothing to contribute except your personal opposition to the whole subject. We need not discuss your personal choices here.

1 Like