2018 Subaru Forester radio upgrade

Is there a way to upgrade the radio/head unit in a 2018 Subaru Forester to make it Android Auto/Apple Car Play compatible

Hi Lee,
As a fellow Forester owner with the same head unit you have, I can tell you that there is no cost-effective way to do that. Sadly, this very useful tech did not come to Subaru’s Forester until the new generation. Ihave tested it in the '19 Forester and it works great. It is worth asking your local dealer and also a local audio specialty shop, but I can’t see it happening. Interestingly, Mazda’s CX-5 came without Apple CarPlay/Android Auto but it IS possible to have Mazda update the system and make it work. The cost is $400. We spoke to two dealers. The parts alone are $199 and the upgrade requires a new USB port be installed, not just software. I have been highlighting AppleCarPlay and Android auto in every review for a few years now. Once a person uses it they see how useful it is and I hope shoppers have their eyes open when they are shopping new so they don’t end up with a vehicle without it.

3 Likes

Sad to say, I have the most awful and dangerous experience with this non-functioning infotainment system. I have had mine replaced and it continues to intermittently fail on the highway and back roads when I am using a GPS program like Waze and talking on the phone. I can count on it failing every 14 days or so.
I’ve been in touch with Subaru of America and have gotten no help. There is a class action suit against Subaru for this failure. I have no idea what the status is of that.
Love my car, hate the danger this failure puts me in when on interstates and backroads. Much less the lost time in returning business calls while driving. Has anyone come up with a fix for this now that is is June 2019? Many thanks, Rose