Anyone give a rough idea of what the repair cost may be for slamming into a wall on freeway curve

@ok4450

“That does not absolve the owner of the car from having the living crap sued out of him for whatever damages and inuries occurred while the other person was behind the wheel.”

That is why I am insured up the wazoo

There are a lot of “hungry” people out there, just hoping that somebody rearends them. They don’t have the morals you and I do, and they just see it as an opportunity to get a grip of cash. They’ll find some willing doctor, chiropractor, etc. to swear on a stack of bibles, that the person has a serious injury. When in reality, they walked away without a scratch.

I knew a few people who did this, and when I found out, I decided I didn’t feel comfortable talking to them anymore. Because I don’t like to associate with people with shady morals. Not if I can help it. In all of those cases, the people were bragging how they cheated the system, defrauded the insurance companies, and collected a lot of money. Over time, I distanced myself from them. And my interactions were gradually reduced to “Hello” and “How are you doing”

There are certain intersections, where I see pedestrians try to stage accidents. When the drivers are stopped at a light, the pedestrians will seemingly be struck by the car. When in fact, the pedestrian essentially threw themselves on the car. I’ve actually seen a few of these shady types get beaten to within an inch of their lives, because the driver was savvy enough to recognize the situation for what it was. The driver got out of the car and proceeded to wail on the lowlife. I hate to say it, but it was a glorious sight. I can’t stand dishonest people.

I was talking about a lot that buys and sells repairables from insurance companies. They might have a line on who could help with the chassis damage or give you an offer. Your insurance agent also might be able to provide a lead on who to sell it to.

Yeah, if I’m not going to get anything out of the insurance I really have no desire to contact them and screw myself further, especially since it wasn’t even me who was driving. My one other buddy (who deals with cars) said I may be able to post as is for like 1500 or get someone to strip it down and maybe recover like 2500.

Think about it… .would YOU buy a ten year old Volvo with damage that serious for $1500? Would you buy any part of the powertrain? Honestly, nobody else is likely to either. Get what you can by the pound and move on. Trying to sell this as-is or strip it down and part it out is much more likely to end in frustration than in cash.

If the strut tower hadn’t been slammed into the engine and the halfshaft (axle) forced into the transaxle, perhaps there’d be something recoverable, but I seriously doubt if anything of value is on this vehicle.

The vehicle is only worth $5-6k. The repair is approaching that so move on. Your friendship may be a “friendship” , good luck .

On the positive side, if you itemize your taxes, the loss can be claimed. One of our tax guys can chime in on that. I’m not sure if it has to be against passive income though but don’t think so. I did it once for a few hundred on my Corvair.

Uninsured motorist coverage is only for someone who is driving another car that his yours and they lack insurance. It does not create collision insurance when you have none and someone driving your car has a single car accident. I start thinking about dropping collision if the value of my car drops below $5000. I will certainly drop it before it drops to $3000.

Did the kid who crashed it have insurance? If so, perhaps his insurance should be covering this. State insurance laws vary, and so does coverage, but you may want to check this out. Whether it does or not, what’s he/she have to say about paying for the damages?

You also have the option of civil court. The driver clearly is responsible for whatever the damages are… as estimated by a qualified repair facility… and recovery in this case should be a slam-dunk.

I understand that insurance follows the driver, not the car. If the driver during the accident has insurance, he should get his insurer to pay for it, or you sho und contact his insurer " on his behalf". Good catch @“the same mountainbike”.

I understand that insurance follows the driver, not the car.

I was hit by a gal driving her boyfriend’s car. Clearly her fault. Her and her boyfriend’s insurance companies argued for weeks over who would pay. Luckily, they figured it out (I don’t remember if I ever knew who paid) but apparently it can be contentious.

Depending on the policy, and varying state laws can create variations, insurance can follow either the driver or the car… or both.

I’m not bringing religion into this discussion except in a tongue in cheek manner but the OP should have been in church Sunday thanking the man above that the guy he loaned it to did not plow into someone instead of a retaining wall.

^
That is an excellent point, ok4450.
Take a look at this sad story from a town near me, where a 6 year old child was killed by a driver who…somehow…managed to run off the road and mount the sidewalk:

The OP should be very glad that nothing like this transpired with his car.

Insurance follows the vehicle in my state. Minnesota.

At the very least, the vehicle must have liability insurance to be legally driven on public roads.

This means that no matter who is driving the vehicle, and the vehicle is involved in an accident and there’s no violations in the law, the insurance company covers the damages to the other persons property.

I can also purchase comprehensive insurance for damage from vandals/weather, or broken glass/cracked windshield protection.

Or I can also purchase collision insurance.

But on 95 Nissan pickup, to do that, I would spend more on the insurance premiums within a few months than what the truck is worth on the market.

Tester

Bad things can happen when you loan out your car, insurance or not. Here’s a good article by a lawyer who deals with car issues every day:

All I can find so far is that the car owner would need to have collision. I do have a copy of his drivers license, but even when the police showed up they did not take a report. Does anyone know where to point me to find out the reality in Massachusetts? I am guessing that he is just going to try and skate off and leave me without a car as he has not sent me any info today. Even if he is liable, would he need to have the correct insurance? Would it then just go to a personal judgement against him? I guess I was been foolishly optimistic that he would understand how lucky he is that it wasn’t a lot worse for him and step up as much as he can or work something out with me.

You need to talk to a lawyer.

You don’t need a lawyer.

You need to take a life’s lesson.

If you allow someone to operate your vehicle and there’s no collision insurance coverage on the vehicle and the vehicle is destroyed while it’s being operated, you eat the cost of repairing the vehicle.

Tester

I expect your new friend is going to soon be a nowhere to be found friend and it’s likely that any insurance that he may have does not cover this. If it did he would have already just turned it over to them.

You can certainly sue him and you would more than likely win a judgement against him in court but winning the judgement is the easy part. It’s collecting the judgement that is a pain in the axx.

Collecting would mean putting a lien against any assets or garnisheeing a bank account. This involves detective work and can be very exasperating while leading to a lot of dead ends.
Once backed into a corner and even if he did have assets that could be attached he could wipe any judgement away PDQ by filing a bankruptcy petition.

Tough, tough spot to be in. What I still wonder about is the question I posed earlier about whether or not this car has a loan note against it. If so, that’s going to make things even tougher.

@Tester

I respect your opinion

But I have a different one

My opinion is that if the guy that wrecked the car verbally says “ESAD, I have no intention of paying for the repair” . . . at that point you take legal actions