Any radiator caps made in USA?

That’s where I grew up and still have family there.

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. "

Melissa , are you not well ? I ask because you really do post some strange things .

2 Likes

Normally, I wouldn’t consider a passage from the US Constitution strange, but posted without context or comment, it certainly is.

2 Likes

Hi Melissa. How does oldtimer’s comment about the changes in manufacturing make you think of the Constitution?

3 Likes

The future was mentioned and posterity has been on my mind as well as the U.S. Constitution and I don’t have a large social circle.

That’s the preamble to the Constitution. That’s a word I capitalize when it refers to the Constitution of the USA. When I was an 8th grade social studies teacher, I taught that statement and we discussed what it meant, then and now. Students were supported to remember it and recite it. It was one of the highlights of their 8th grade year.

We also had fun with it. Do a Google search for Barney Fife reciting the Preamble.

I tried to be brief. Why? Because I have spent time in the past composing verbose posts that fell on deaf ears (or eyes as the case may be). I mentioned this aspect-

because it is significant when it comes to markings.

You’re absolutely right that there are very strict rules on the marking of “Made in the USA”. It’s far too involved to provide all that detail here and frankly, would not be meaningful to most of the audience on this board.

And this is EXACTLY my point. People are led to believe by the marking that is it wholly manufactured in the country denoted in the marking. But it’s not necessarily so. In the end, it doesn’t really matter to me as a consumer if the last materially relevant work was 51% in China, Vietnam or the USA for that matter…

Of course there are protectionist rules in place. The government is not proactively ensuring they are met. Typically, some industry/company has to file a complaint about a competitor violating the rules for any action to ensue. It was a bit humorous for me to see in essence- we’re from the government and we’re here to help :wink:

This is sage advice and I agree wholeheartedly. Essentially what I was also trying to convey to the OP especially regarding something as simple as a radiator cap…

It gets murky, to say the least. Costco in Canada sells their house brand coffee beans under the name Java Club. Until recently it read “Product of Canada”: on the bag. The coffee beans were roasted in the Vancouver area, and packaged there.

Consumer backlash and government attention changed all that since Vancouver does not have coffee plantations and the claim was ludicrous!.

So now it reads that the coffee is processed (roasted) in Canada from imported beans, something like that.

My widescreen Panasonic TV is “Hecho en Mexico” (made in Mexico), but from imported parts. This means it’s assembled in one of the border city maquiladores assembly plants and promptly shipped to the US and Canada after that
Not a single Mexican plant could begin to make the critical components in this set.