Antique motorcycles -- restoration project?

Like I said, an R71 is a rare collector’s item, $30,000 and up. No way it’s one of those. Wrong frame, anyway. It’s the Chinese knockoff. And a fraudulent one with a BMW title.

No video clip of your test ride? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

$8000? That will buy a lot of burritos. hmmmm??? … Ok, I’m going w/the burritos … lol …

Many of the WWII replicas were made from post war Soviet manufactured knock off motorcycles.

None of the 3 (Chinese, 75, or 71) look alike to me. Maybe from a block away there’s a passing resemblance.

A few years ago after mowing I came in and turned on the TV where a car auction was going on. Maybe Mecum.
A “beautifully restored Harley” was rolling off the block for 50 grand and was claimed to be an early 1950s Knucklehead. Gorgeous bike, but…

Last year of the Knuckle was 1947 and 1948 was the beginning of the Panhead. I did get a glimpse of the right side kicker cover on the transmission and it was the so-called “pig snout” cover which came along in 1952.

My thought was that the buyer of that bike is going to be crushed when someone informs him that he got taken to the cleaners for 50 grand.

What I would love to have seen on that bike was the VIN on the left side engine case because when it comes to old Harleys the first step is to always eyeball that VIN carefully. Some have made an art form out of VIN tampering.

Started a family, triumph tiger 650 and Tiger cub 1 banger 100 cc, just to hijack the thread.