Antifreeze

do five year antifreeze really last that long.

Your dealer manual will say yes. It will also say “or 50,000 miles.”

Assuming no cooling system damage, the fluid itself can last that long no problem.

I can’t vouch for aftermarket fluids.

I am assuming its dexcool. Dexcool is crap, I switched my s10 over to green a couple of years back and have had no problems.

I did the same thing with my 2006 Chevrolet Uplander before I sold it to my son. I didn’t want him to have problems.

It has for me.Mine was Chrysler’s variety in both cars.

Antifreeze will maintain its freeze protection forever as long as it isn’t diluted. However, the rust inhibitors in antifreeze are depleted when in use. This is why antifreeze should be replaced at regular intervals.

Yes, long life coolant can actually last as long as the manufacturers say that it can.
One little known problem with some vehicles is that after a couple of years, it can build up an electrical charge.

This electrical charge can then start to eat away at the metal in the engine and cooling system, causing expensive damage.

So if you have a long life coolant, you might want to change it out a year or so before its due date, just to be safe.

BC.

The antifreeze manufacturers say their anifreezes CAN last up to 5 years/150,000 miles. They don’t say it WILL last that long. So no.

Tester