Anti freeze

what kind of anti freeze do I use for a 2000 Toyota solara

It’s always best to consult your owner’s manual if you are unsure in these matters. Toyota brand long life (red) coolant is recommended for your vehicle. I would call your local Toyota dealer just to double check though.

@solora

This stuff is available at Napa and O’reilly, if that’s more convenient than going to to the dealer

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/105

I believe @missileman is right. Best to check your owner’s manual, to make sure that Zerex is compatible with the Toyota specs

As long as you’re using the Toyota spec coolant you’re OK. I wouldn’t switch.

Stay with Toyota recommended coolant. This is one of the fluids along with transmission’s, I would not deviate from !

If that zerex meets the Toyota specs, OP should be fine

Any longlife, universal antifreeze will do the job. You do not have to use Toyota’s antifreeze. It is NOT like transmission fluid, which I would recommend staying with the factory brand. You have to avoid any antifreeze with silicates and borates in it, but those types are hard to find anymore.

You can also mix it at the recommended 50/50 or use a premix antifreeze longlife universal coolant or mix the full strength stuff at a 2:1 rate antifreeze to distilled or purified water. It is important that if you mix it yourself, that you use distilled or purified water and clean containers.

You should also drain out all the old antifreeze, both the radiator and the block drains must be opened. I strongly urge you NOT to do any kind of a flush. Even a fresh water flush will leave behind residual minerals and a chemical flush can actually damage good parts in the cooling system, particularly rubber hoses. The only reason to do a flush is if the system has never been maintained and there is a problem, like overheating due to blocked passages, but in most cases, the flush is only marginal because the damage has already been done.

I might avoid well water for a flush, but tap water mineral content is controlled well, and should be fine. At least tap water is controlled well around me.

Tap water is great for a flush, but for making a 50/50 mix I’d recommend distilled water, available at the grocery store for anout $1/gallon. Even public tapwater is only controlled for toxic minerals, and tap water can contain minerals that while not toxic to drink can clog up your car’s plumbing…especially the tubes in the radiator through which the coolant passes .

Years ago I had a house on well water that ate right through the copper pipes. I had to replumb the entire house after only 15 yearsw of ownership. The water was safe to drink, but highly acidic.

Unless there is a problem, there is no reason to flush so I would not do it. Do you flush out the oil pan every time you change the oil?

Our city water has a very high mineral content, even after the softener. I keep a gallon or two of vinegar on hand to continually keep after the coffee pots and faucets.

@keith - I strongly disagree. If somebody is switching type of coolant I’ve repeatedly read from makers web sites that you need to remove the old coolant completely by a fresh water (not chemical) flush. A fresh water flush, followed by a full drain, will leave behind next to zero minerals. Use distilled water for the fill.

A number of different antifreeze formulations are not compatible.