Anti freeze

Hi, I’m using non-toxic RV anti freeze in a set of solar hotwater panels used for radiant heat in my shop. How often does the fluid need to be changed? Thanks,

This type of anti-freeze offers little or no corrosion protection…In your application, why not use regular automotive anti-freeze and get it’s corrosion protection benefits?

The bottle says that it protects against corrosion. I wanted to use some thing non toxic in case of a leak. Dogs in the yard.

3 to 5 years would not be unreasonable…If you could test the Ph of the fluid, that would give an indication a change was needed if the solution became acidic…

In your application, I think it will last longer than in a car, since it won’t get as hot, no combustion byproducts, etc. But I doubt the nontoxic stuff protects as well as the green stuff. Maybe check some blogs dedicated to alternative energy?

In your application, I think it will last longer than in a car, since it won’t get as hot, no combustion byproducts,

What combustion byproducts could possibly be getting in the antifreeze of a car?? If they are…you’ve got a problem somewhere.

I would drain and refill every two years. If you wait longer, it might be a good idea to flush the system with water every time you replace the fluid.

The best answer you can get would come from the mfg’r of the solar panels. RV antifreeze is not meant for multi-year storage. It is made for putting up the RV for the winter and the expectation is that at about 6 months the RV will be put back in service. Therefore corrosion protection would not necessarily apply to year 2, 3, etc.

I believe there are less or perhaps non-toxic auto antifreeze available on the market. The RV antifreeze could be just fine, but this a question for solar panel folks to confirm.

UT: “RV antifreeze is not meant for multi-year storage. It is made for putting up the RV for the winter and the expectation is that at about 6 months the RV will be put back in service.”

RV antifreeze meets the same specs as antifreeze used in all vehicles of that make. If your RV chassis is a GM product, the antifreeze is GM’s Dexcool, just like any other GM product. The same principle applies to a Ford chassis. Whatever antifreeze you use needs to meet the specs of the chassis manufacturer.

“RV antifreeze meets the same specs as antifreeze used in all vehicles of that make.”

I think RV antifreeze is for the sink/shower plumbing, not engine coolant.

You can get propylene glycol based antifreeze with the HOAT corrosion protection that is good for 5-7 years. The propylene glycol is much less toxic than ethylene glycol, in fact its used in medicine to evacuate your GI tract for certain uncomfortable procedures.

circuitsmith and I are referring to the pink or red antifreeze that is intended for RV storage and is used in the plumbing of said RV; not in the motor. It is not intended to go into the cooling system of any vehicle.

UncleTurbo, I knew that. I was attempting to add new information, not dispute any given above.

UT: “circuitsmith and I are referring to the pink or red antifreeze that is intended for RV storage and is used in the plumbing of said RV; not in the motor. It is not intended to go into the cooling system of any vehicle.”

Ah, well that changes things. I’ve never used such a product. Instead, I drain the system.

Sorry, I thought UncleTurbo was referring to my post.