(Another) car sitting for six months

Regarding advice to sell the car:

1. Marnet is spot on; my thoughts exactly.
  2. My son wisely said his charter does not include giving any such advice.
  3. Other than that, you are probably right, although in these pandemic days a lot of us are avoiding public transit and on-call services.
    Another 5 or 10 years and I’ll be as old as my Dad was when I hoped he would give up driving. Will I have the wisdom and courage to hand the keys over to the kids?
2 Likes

Yeah, my Mom’s car sat outside for a year w/o getting started (Dementia) and had grown a “mold fur” in all of the mentioned places.

It was otherwise in great shape, Chrysler LeBaron, perfect body and very with low mileage V8 engine but after a year with all the cabin mold, the only place it could go was to the junk yard for $300.

Such a waste

Supertech™ because it’s the cheapest. I hope they all work as well.

I drive mine when I want to go somewhere, not to make it happy.

1 Like

We used to pull the pop up camper to Disney camp ground every year for Spring break. Then one year it was raining and had no choice but to put it down wet. Two day drive home, unload in the garage, then outside and by the time I could really get it dried out, the mold and mildew had taken over. Tried everything but couldn’t get the stink out of the canvas and pads. The mistake I made was taking all the good stuff off to sell separate. Too much work for too little reward. Kinda wish I had it now though.

That’s likely algae, not mold.

A snow thrower? in Maryland? Did you move to Garrett county?

Oh, every few years we get a big snow in the DC-Baltimore area – six, eight, ten inches and up, with varying wetness. Even three or four inches of typical wet snow is pretty heavy. Very nice to have a removal machine then.

Of course, that might be like keeping a car that you haven’t driven since August. :smile:

1 Like

Nobody answered the question what harm could it do to run it on stale gas. IMHO it depends if the car is fuel injected or carburated–a possibility given the fact of an older couple and no information on the car. In either case I agree with what everyone else has said–should be ok, top off with fresh gas and go. A modern fuel injected engine will compensate for a loss of octane caused by using non-specified or stale fuel. I suppose the concern with a carburetor is that varnishes and rust could clog the jets or one of the internal ports and cause performance issues. If the fuel is so bad that the car won’t start would mean flushing the fuel system, but I’d try starting it first. You might get lucky or you’ll be no worse off.

You can save the Iso-Heet. Only ingredient is alcohol that is a built in component of most gas sold in the US. I used to have a car susceptible to gas tank condensation and needing the occasional shot of Heet before gasohol became the standard.

1 Like

Nope. Not even Fred-neck. We get a couple of snows each year that justify a snow thrower. Not yet this year, but we are supposed to get some snow Wednesday through Sunday. I doubt it will be continuous, but who knows? We are at the southern end of the Arctic blast coming through.

Just adding to this, here’s a snowfall in McLean, VA in 2010. MD got pretty much the same. When it rains it pours.

1 Like

They may be competent, but anyone, at any age, can get out of practice. A useful thing, post-pandemic, would be to ride with one or both drivers a few times (under the excuse of “listening for problems in the engine/brakes,” or whatever. Then, be honest and tell them if their driving is not up to snuff, suggest back roads practice, or even a driving school lesson or two. Both AARP and AAA have online classes that are good for anyone over age 50, pandemic or not. You get an insurance discount too!

Remember, you can be a bad driver at any age…I see that a lot of 37-year-olds need to re-read the “rules of the road” book!

Best gift you can give to your kids? PERMISSION to tell you when think that key-handover time has come.

Everyone sleeps better, and some other people may get to live uninjured or live longer!

1 Like

I lived there '60-'71; I remember the blizzard of '66 that closed the schools for a week. I shoveled out ours and a few of the neighbors. Nobody had a snowblower.

If it runs, the gas is OK. I have winter vehicles and summer vehicles. 6 months is nothing. I keep a float charger on the batteries to keep them happy. Every 5 years I recycle the gas I keep in cans, JIC, never a problem.

1 Like

Wow. That makes you 120 now, since you seem to want to draw equivalence to my current situation. Way to go! What’s your secret for a long life?

1 Like

You hire a young person to shovel you out occasionally. Has to be cheaper than owning a snowblower.

When I used to shovel the big snows, I had kids come by and offer to shovel the driveway and sidewalks. The last time, three of them wanted $75 to do it. It doesn’t take many of those payments to equal the cost of a snow thrower. Don’t waste my time with a comment about negotiations. I only get preposterous offers, and I always say no.

1 Like

Neighbors think I’m crazy putting down ice melt on my driveway and walk BEFORE it snows. It makes it so much easier to clear snow later. While neighbors are struggling to shovel out their cars, chopping at the icy bottom layer of even a small accumulation of a couple inches of snow, I simply push snow off my drive down to bare paving while they have a slick layer left. They then toss down ice melt but when it remains well below freezing for days they still have ice when I rarely do.

And if a deep snow comes I get out my heavy beast of a snow thrower and still can clear the pavement easier than if I hadn’t pre-treated.

Of course, I am fortunate to have a garage to keep the car in and stay home as much as possible in weather with slick roads.

2 Likes

You must work for the Dept of Highways around here. :slightly_smiling_face:. That’s what they do when snow is on the way, unless rain is expected first.