Car not driven for 6 months

Is there anything we should do before we start up our car after it has not been driven for 6 months

It depends on the condition of things when it was last driver, where and how it was stored etc.

Having said that, I would likely check the fluid levels, maybe recharge the battery and fire it up. Take it a little easy at first. After a tank or two it should be fine.

Remember that many maintenance items need to be addressed every X miles or X months, whichever comes first. Get whatever is now overdue serviced. Those X months count even if no one even looks at the car.

Next time, come here and ask about storing a car when you will not be using it and we can help you reduce the possibility of some un-expected problems. 

Good Luck. Chances are the only thing that will need attention before driving it would be the battery. If you left the battery connected, you may well need a new one

BTW it would help if you told us what model year and total miles your car has.

I’d do as J Meehan suggested and add a couple of things. I’d probably buy a can of Seafoam & maybe 5 gallons of fresh gasoline and pour it all in there. Gas should actually be ok for 6 months, but it can’t hurt to “freshen” it up.

Check the air pressure in the tires and give the tires a close look on the sidewalls for any signs of issues. Other than the air pressure, the tire structure also shouldn’t really be a 6 month issue - but, hey. They are the tires.

Second I’d just take it very easy as mentioned with special attention to what the brakes are doing. Certain parts of the braking system like to get jammed up from lack of use & rust. I actually think its a good idea to run it by a local shop, tell them its been sitting and ask them to inspect the brakes. Many shops would do a basic check as a courtesy.

It’s a S420 Mercedes with 128,000 miles

And the year is 1999 - mint condition!

Thank you J Meehan and Cigroller, will do!

If it starts and runs ok, just drive it. I have been doing this twice a year for quite a few years; switching between my summer car and winter car. The winter car, parked from April to November gets the road salt treatment to make rust and the summer car, parked from November to April does not. Both are parked with fresh or fairly recent oil changes. I also have two bikes; they get the batteries kept up with a float charger/battery maintainer over the winter; that is all.

In the spring, the bikes are started and then ridden. This is typical of any bike owner where winter temps get below freezing. Some might cover the bike, spray oil into the cylinders via spark plug holes, plug the exhaust pipes or whatever but I don’t bother with that stuff and have no problems starting either the bikes or the cars.

Don’t worry, just start and go!

Storing a car in the winter presents fewer fuel problems then in warmed weather. In cool weather, fuel breakdown should not be a concern in that time period what so ever. I would always recommend running Stabil in the last tank and final fill up, just in case something comes up and it ends up being stored in warmer weather before fresh gas can be run through it.