Annual Village Vehicle Stickers

How much do you pay for your annual village vehicle sticker (not the license plate sticker?) I pay $30.00.

I have no frame of reference for a “Village Vehicle Sticker”, as all motor vehicle functions are done at the state level in my area.

Where do you live, where one has to pay the local village for a vehicle sticker–over and above your state motor vehicle agency’s sticker and related fees?

Not sure as we do not have these here.

On a holiday in England the city of Winchester has downtown parking free for those with “village stickers”, and a hefty fine for those without.

I had a rental car form London, and got the fine which is in an envelope with instruction on how to pay. With a rental car you have no choice, and $65 later.

Since the street sign are vague, I decided to never visit Winchester again and warn all those going over to avoid downtown.

We only pay state registration fees in Maryland. It costs $135 for two years on vehicles under 3700 lbs and $187 for heavier vehicles. We don’t have many incorporated cities here. The lowest level of government is the county, and there are no county automotive fees.

No city town or village stickers in Erie or Niagara counties in NY.

Are you outside the USA OP? Most of the posters here are USA based. We get quite a few posts from outside the USA too, but those are for repair and maintenance problems. Cars work basically the same everwhere, so that works out ok. But gov’t regulations differ a lot outside the USA, so not much info on that topic here. You might surf over the to Practical Classics magazine website, it’s Great Britain based, see if they have anything there.

Some counties in northeast Tennessee have “wheel taxes.” I do not believe any of them are greater than $50 US annually per vehicle. In my opinion, it’s used as another revenue stream to confuse the electorate on how much tax they are paying.

We even had a county commissioner in a neighboring county who has proposed an exception to their recently approved wheel tax for people 70 and over. Mind you, this tax was approved to help balance their budget. When the commissioner was asked how much this would reduce tax revenue, the commissioner did not know the percentage of cars registered to those 70 and over. Boy, I bet his supporters were proud they voted for this ding-dong.

It appears that the Village of Arlington Heights is taxing its vehicle owners, there are annual fees for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and trailers.

This years tax allows them to feel proud of their fire department;

"This year’s vehicle sticker promotes the Fire Department’s top rating of Class 1 from the Insurance Services Office (ISO). ISO is the insurance industry’s leading source of information about property/casualty risk.

The ISO Class 1 rating has been achieved by less than 200 of 47,000 fire departments nationwide, 1/3 of 1%.

The sticker must be displayed on the passenger-side of the front windshield of all vehicles by January 1 to avoid penalties. Stickers cost $30 each per passenger car; $12 for seniors over age 65 or turning 65 in the year 2017 (limit one per family); $12 for residents with a valid State handicapped plates, permanent placards or disability certificates (limit one per family)."

I guess if you are without a windshield sticker you are not a resident or you are breaking the law.

We have excise tax. It’s a % of vehicle valuation and is quite high initially. Close to $500 in 1st year for $40k sales price for example. It drops rapidly but yet to see one less than $100. How does $30 sound now? :wink:

I lived in one city where a city sticker was required to park overnight on streets, I think it may have been $30 or so a year, the rationale I believe was t be able to target out of owners while officers were on patrol.

There are cities where one needs a “resident sticker” in order to be able to park in certain districts. Near commuter rail stations and other commuter facilities, some cities will ticket anyone who parks on the street without a “resident sticker”, but all of the situations like this of which I am aware do not involve a fee. The resident simply goes to his/her Town Hall, produces evidence of residence, and receives the necessary resident sticker without charge.

No overnight parking on city streets in my town. Easy for cops to ticket every car on street at 2am. Any car in private driveway has to be currently licensed. No deadbeats/trailer trash allowed. Don’t like it? Talk to city about changing the law.

We have “resident sticker” areas. Typically close to High Schools, medical facilities, and office buildings. Non-resident parking is not prohibited but has a 2 hour limit. Also no fee for residents.

No one would dare do that in Minnesota or South Dakota but the Republic of Minneapolis might be heading in that direction. I would suggest the populace start to rise up against some of this stuff before it is really too late.

You are correct according to
http://www.vah.com/cms/one.aspx?portalId=7230773&pageId=10386072

I do not know!

1. Would you rather have the property tax pay for everything
    or
  2. have fees specially designated for things?

When I was stationed at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, VA, there was a city tax, a county tax and a state registration. I swear that when I lived there, every time I opened the mail box, there was a tax notice for something. Often just nickel dime taxes but it was very annoying. There was even a toilet tax because my house had two toilets instead of one.

I would prefer fees. Practically speaking, though, most services that government provides I rarely or never directly use. For these services, a reasonable way to fund them is through property taxes or income taxes or sales taxes that apply to everyone.

The issue I have with the wheel taxes in my area is that they have been used largely to balance budgets for items that are funded with sales and property taxes already. Instead of raising property taxes, it is more palatable politically to get a wheel tax approved. And once they’re put in place, they will never be removed. To me, they are used to hide costs and confuse the citizens.

No new taxes, fees are not a tax, supposedly. So a community near us use to provide trash pick up, now it is a fee, not a tax, then we got hit with a storm water utility fee, not a tax, costs me more at the end of the year for previously provided services, No increase in taxis is the recurring mantra, but if it costs me more at the end of the year before no tax increases vs services formerly provided with out a fee, feels like a tax to me.

Oh boy, a lot of work to do in Illinois I guess. I read an article today where a county in North Dakota has a density of 1 person per square mile. No parking problem there. So too many apartments packed in a small area with no parking except for street parking, thus need to restrict parking, huh? I dunno, I’ll feed a parking meter, or pay a ramp fee, and pay road tolls, but I ain’t buyin’ no stinking village sticker-and stay out of my driveway.

Now that I’m on a tangent of how far we have fallen, why is it that a senior by simply being old, only pays $12 instead of $30? Not that I wouldn’t qualify for the $12 rate but when you stop and think about it, this whole senior discount business to me is unconstitutional and an insult. I can afford the $30 more than some poor jerk working at Mickeys. Everyone should pay the same regardless of age, gender, wealth, political party, etc.

Happy new year.