Annoying road noise

While driving my 2001 Acura TL 3.2 (98,000 miles) it makes an annoying whirr, whirr, whirr road noise as I accelerate up to 40 MPH. The whirring noise builds intensity slowly then reaches a peak at around 35 - 40 MPH. The noise then seems to fade as my speed increases, only to repeat each time I slow below 10 MPH and then accelerate.

In a hope to resolve the problem, I purchased a set of 4 new tires and had them mounted, balanced with 4 weel alignment.

The problem is the same, not resolved.

The car used to ride so quiet, now it annoys me every time I drive it. I have a 100,000 mile extended warranty and want to get the problem resolved before it expires.

What do you think could be the cause of this problem? Thank you.

Have the motor mounts checked and the heat shields on the exhaust system.

I’d check the wheel bearings.

What the heck, might as well check your CV joints too. The noise from motor mounts usually varies with pressure on the throttle. Noise from wheel bearing usually is a steady roar and gets louder as speed increases, never gets quieter above any speed.

Because of the angle that CV joints work through, they will click, clunk or whirr whirr. If the noise is not affected by steering angle, and I suspect its not, then look to the inner joints. It could also be the front shield or side shield has come out of position and is hitting one of the axles.

The front wheel bearings went bad on my 2000 Blazer the day after I got new tires. I assumed it was tire noise until my mechanic diagnosed it at the next oil change. One way to tell is that the pitch of the noise changes if the steering wheel is turned off center (i.e. changing lanes).

Ed B.

The front wheel bearings went bad on my 2000 Blazer the day after I got new tires. I assumed it was tire noise until my mechanic diagnosed it at the next oil change. One way to tell is that the pitch of the noise changes if the steering wheel is turned off center (i.e. changing lanes).

Ed B.