An old junker - is it worth fixing up?

I have a 1991 Pontiac 6000 with a 3.1 V6. It needs new brake rotors and pads, new tires, a belt, and it could use tires. It has ALMOST 200,000 miles, and I’ve been told this engine should last another 20,000 or so. Any car pro’s out there got an opinion? Is it worth fixing up? Can i tackle the jobs myself? I’m sure I can at least change the belt.

Thanks to anyone who offers some input!

Pads are simple…Not sure how hard it is to replace rotors on this vehicle…some are a real pain…orthers are very easy. What kind of belt needs to be replaced???

What you’re talking about doesn’t add up to much…so might as well do it and keep it for another year or two.

I have found a lot of enjoyment in doing things myself on my car and I am in a real learning process. I think that when the car is that old one has to balance if it is worth it or not to send it to a mechanic. The expence can be beyond the value of the car… That’s why I try to do my own repairs and learn from it.
I would keep it.

With a bit of mechanical expertise and a repair manual you should be able to handle everything but, of course, the tires.

Yeah, fix it up. It may have more good life in it than you think. These are all normal wear items.

Yea, I don’t really have the money to send it to a mechanic, but I do want to keep it. The engine is solid, and the parts that are waring out are the parts that you expect to ware out. Oh, I forgot to mention above that the struts need replaced to. I’d like to do that myself too, but I am thinking I might be in over my head on that one.
The car is a real nice car for what it is. Everything works, all the buttons do what they are supposed to. It’s defiantly worth keeping around, especially since I’m a college student and won’t have the money for a new car until 2035, when my loans are paid off.

Anywhoo, the belt that needs replaced is just the accessory belt, the one that runs the alternator, fan, power steering pump, etc. I notice that everything slows down when I’m idling the car. The battery is good, the alternator is very young, and the belt is very old and easy to flex and bend, it’s cracked, etc, etc. I’ve been told that it’s what’s causing my lights to dim because it’s not powering the alternator enough to charge the battery.

Oh, i have VERY high expectations for this car, and I know it’s good for at least half of what I expect of it. I just don’t think it’s NASCAR worthy.

Yes, keep it and put enough into it to keep it running safely. I would not tackle brake work myself if I were you.

At least parts are easily available and relatively cheap. You will lerarn a lot working on this car.

If that’s really all it needs, you’re looking at less than 1000 dollars and an afternoon’s worth of work. Rotors and pads are so easy on this car. The rotor is held in place between the hub and wheel, so once you remove the brake caliper (something you have to do in order to replace the pads), the rotor just slides off of the wheel studs.

The serpentine belt is also easy to replace, just lift the tensioner with a large wrench, slip the old belt off, the new belt on, and you’re off and running.

If you’re hoping to race it in the NASCAR series…you’re SOL.

(I know you’re just kidding)

Who pulled 20,000 miles out of their rear end? The 3.1/2.8L V6 engine was one of the best GM made during this period-- the engine has no trouble going far past 200,000 miles. It’s usually just that the owners get tired of the bland cars they put them in and don’t feel like doing minor repairs on them anymore. The guy at the junkyard in my town, where they have acres and acres of A-body GM’s, says that probably 85% of them come in running.