2001 Volvo S60 - worth buying used?

Anybody out there that are currently still driving this car, I would appreciate it if you could share some insights into the service it has given you and would you recommend me buying one with 160 000 km. I need to replace the petrol pump as well as have the cambelt service done.

I have a Volvo and I would never tell anyone they should buy a used Volvo , BMW , Jaguar or Mercedes . The repairs can eat your sack lunch. Also why would you even consider one that needs work ?

3 Likes

Why doesn’t the current owner fix it? Any time I see something advertised as “only needs X fixed”, I walk away, probably something else is going on that requires a major repair.

4 Likes

My sister had a 1998 S60. Absolute money pit. It literally cost $500 minimum every time she had to take it to the shop.

2 Likes

What doesn’t cost at least $500, unless your talking about oil changes?

You should RUN AWAY!!!

3 Likes

Agree! Any used Volvo is a money pit!!!

3 Likes

+1
160,000 km = approximately 100,000 miles, and purely on the basis of odometer mileage, that engine is due very soon for its timing belt to be changed. However, since this vehicle is now 18 years old, it is
at least 9 years overdue for that very vital service on the basis of elapsed time.

So, if this vehicle has never before had its timing belt changed, then I have to conclude that it hasn’t been maintained properly for at least the past 9 years. Unless the OP can verify–via hard copies of invoices–that the timing belt was already replaced once, then he has to assume that this service has never been done.

In essence, if the previous owner(s) ignored that type of maintenance for 9 years, how many other types of maintenance have they ignored?
:thinking:

It is a wear item that can be inspected, and nine years ago it was nowhere near the mileage that would have justified changing it. Probably it was bought for a song, and the owner can decide if he wants to drive it till it busts or plans to have it changed in the next few months.

You are aware that timing belts are due by mileage or time, whichever comes first . . . ?!

So no matter how good that timing belt looked nine years ago, I’m pretty sure it was due for replacement by time

… and despite a visual inspection that looks “okay”, an overaged timing belt can snap a few miles later.
:thinking:

2 Likes

They don’t break with lots of frequency, materials have improved, and without much mileage, the engine has not done anywhere near as many revolutions or heat cycles that will contribute to its wear. As to it may snap a few miles later, I think we can add it may last at least 9 years more than its recommended life cycle as well… Without a doubt, it would be best to change it, but it is an 18-year-old car that may have cost less than 1K. For that owner not paying almost as much to change it may be an acceptable risk given the investment.

As others have said, this is incorrect. Time or miles, whichever comes first. Can you get away with longer intervals? Yes, some of the time. But some of the time no, with an inconvenient and maybe very expensive (if interference engine) consequence.

As a follow on comment, it is hard enough to get to the timing belt for an inspection, that you might as well replace it once there. The water pump is often replaced at the same time since the timing belt often has to be removed to get to the pump.

2 Likes

I guess its hard to advise without knowing what he would be paying for it and what he wants to get out of it. As I said in an ideal world he replaces it, but if money is an issue the engine sounds good with no ticking the risk in driving it for a while should not be huge. That said it does have an interference engine, and buying any 15 + year old car comes with risks.