An EV becomes cost effective when gasoline goes over $1.80 per gallon

There is no lithium ion EV on the US market that costs less than about 8 cents per mile to drive. That’s what this thread is about. It still costs about 6 cents per mile to drive an EV with FREE ELECTRICITY FOR CHARGING. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS TOPIC.

Like comparing apples to hamsters… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That assumes your battery life and replacement cost numbers are correct. $6000 replacement cost for a 24kW-hr battery for the Leaf. A notoriously bad EV battery.

The Tesla batteries are estimated to reach 200,000 miles with 10% loss of range and over 500,000 with 20% loss so your replacement cost is zero over the life of the car. And that is the best data we have with the most experienced EV builder. All EV batteries are warrantied per government regs to 100K and 8 years. So your basic premise is invalid and fuel cost is the primary cost of operation.

But most Americans can’t or won’t do the math. They’ll only buy one because they won’t have to see the numbers spin on the pump like an evil reverse slot machine.

I saw a clip today, don’t know where it was from and presume staged, but made me feel better if the stuff hits the fan. Lady was stalled on the side of the road out of battery power. Guy pulls out the little Honda charger and a gallon of gas to recharge it. Some would say just cut the middle man out but that little Honda is smaller than a suitcase so very transportable. Might take a while so bring a lunch.

A gallon of gas might power that generator for, what, 4 hours under load? Charging at 3 miles/hour? So 12 miles of range after sitting there for 4 hours.

That’s why I think it’s probably a fake video.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I think these “what if” type scenarios involving an EV running out of charge on the side of the road in a winter storm are a little silly. Truth is, many a gasoline powered car has run out of gas in all sorts of weather conditions. It all depends on the driver being responsible and planning ahead of time.

It’s also worth noting that we’re in a time of transition with battery powered vehicles. At this point in the development, we can’t possibly expect them to be able to do absolutely everything an ICE car can. But it’s also true that you CAN buy an EV today that can do a lot more than an EV could even 10 years ago.

I bought a battery powered push lawnmower about 4 years ago, mainly because I got sick of fighting my gas mower to start every spring. I’ve never regretted it once; it performs flawlessly. In fact, yesterday when I couldn’t get my gas string trimmer to start, I ordered a new battery powered trimmer to replace it.

The change is coming. It’s not “here” yet, but it’s happening, for sure.

1 Like

+1
The electronic “feedback” on video screens–coupled with embedded info regarding the nearest charging stations–means that anyone driving an EV to the point of zero charge is not very different from the folks driving IC vehicles who choose to
( select one or more):
Ignore a low oil pressure warning light
Ignore a low fuel warning light
Ignore an “overheating” warning light
Ignore a charging system warning light

In reality, a sentient EV driver is almost always given a LOT more warning of impending low charge problems, as compared to the driver of an IC vehicle who might get various other warning signals.

If someone driving an EV gets a low range warning on his/her screen, chooses to ignore it, and chooses to also ignore the guidance to the nearest charging station(s), he is not at all different from the driver of an IC vehicle who ignores a low oil pressure warning, or an overheat warning. And, the EV can very likely recover from its owner’s decision to ignore the warning signals and the guidance to a nearby charging station. Those who ignore warning signals on the dashboard of an IC vehicle are not likely to be as lucky.

2 Likes

I needed a chain saw recently. Couldn’t really find an electric that would do what I needed to do. I was really interested in electric, as gas powered saws tend to foul up the carburetor or fuel lines if you let them sit around unused too long. With constant use, it seemed like most of the electric saws would only stay charged for 30 minutes or so. I told the guy at the saw shop what I was cutting and he said the electric saws weren’t recommended for that size tree yet. Oh well. Maybe the next saw I buy will be electric. For now, I found a gas Poulan saw that wouldn’t start. The guy actually wound up giving it to me. I put fuel lines on it and a $37 carburetor and it works pretty well! I feel EV’s are in a similar state right now. Not “there yet” for heavy duty applications, but definitely a consideration for a city commuter. Zoom in on the pic and you can see my ratty $40 Poulan :laughing:.

In my 60 years of driving, I have run out of gas once. And I had a 5 gallon gas can in the trunk.

You do realize though that Poulan is kinda border line so don’t expect great results. It’s more of a throw away. But a Stihl or Huskvarna are going to be in the $300-500 range so just depends.

Yep. Hard to beat for 40 bucks and some tinkering, though. If nothing else, I just wanted to see if I could get it running reliably. Fooling around with old or discarded saws is kind of a weird hobby of mine. But, yeah, this saw is no gem.

Oddly enough, Poulan is now made by Husky. I can show you the Husky stamp on this saw’s plastic chassis. What’s worse, my 1997 Craftsman saw (made by Poulan) would cut circles around this newer Husky made model with similar cc’s and the same bar length. This saw is made pretty cheap and it shows. I think that can be said for a lot of the newer stuff. But, it’s doing what I need it to for the time being. I generally don’t spend a lot unless it’s absolutely necessary.

My wife saw me tinkering with the saw and bloodying my knuckles trying to start it before I figured out it’s issues. She told me to go ahead and get what I needed. I have a Husky 323L weed eater that I bought 17 or so years ago that I’m still using. That was before Lowe’s sold Husky and you could only get their equipment at a dealer. Not sure if their quality has slipped, but be careful. A “Husky” (or John Deere) mower at Lowe’s is not the same as what you’ll find at a dealer. Not sure about the saws, etc.

I already had permission and the Stihl picked out at the saw shop if this carb didn’t work lol. But for now, I’ll wear out this Poulan.

FWIW, I hear Echo makes a pretty good saw. A little cheaper than stihl and Husky, but better quality than Poulan, etc. I think Husky makes almost all of the mid quality saws now (Poulan, Jonesred, and the like - not sure on the exact brands they own), so that kind of makes me want to shy away from Husky.

One more edit - you’ve got to understand I wear stuff out lol. This is the first saw I’ve personally owned that was equipped with a chain brake…which were more or less made mainstream in the…early 90’s? :laughing:

I hear ya. I’ve got my dad’s little Echo. I don’t know how old it is but old enough for parts not to be available anymore. I like it for trimming branches because it is smaller. A gas and air filter did wonders. I’ve got a bigger Stihl that I use for larger work. Bought it after a tornado went through and that little Echo was not up to the job. So know nothing about the quality of the new ones but I wouldn’t be afraid of one. The part I don’t like about the Stihl is the dealer only parts.

You know but one thing I ran across is a worn sprocket if the chain keeps coming off. Not expensive but made a big difference. The other thing is that roller bearing behind the sprocket. I don’t think it had ever been greased before but I do it once a year now.

1 Like

That’s just not true. We’ve stayed in a few hotels since the lockdowns in 2020, and they’ve all been extremely well cleaned (and under 100 a night for the most part). I think that that increased cleaning standard is (hopefully) here to stay, at least with the larger chain hotels.

My experience is on interstate routes in Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Dakota, etc. in chains like Holiday Inn, Hampton. You can do better if you can plan where you will stay and go through one of the services or go off the beaten path. We can’t though. We did get Boston down from $800 to $300 though, but good for you if you can do better. 20 years ago with my discounts I used to get same for $20 but those days are gone.

well. now you got me a little worried. I have to drive my 90-year-old mom to florida because she won’t fly. I thought Hampton inn was part of Hilton and were suppose to be better hotels.

They are part of Hilton and generally they are nice, but there are some that are not as nice as others…

Sort of like a Fairfield Inns owned by Marriott, lower price, lesser amenities.

1 Like

Should be fine but just not under $100 and good luck with a reservation in Florida during spring break.

1 Like

moving into a new house, so not a problem.

Have you checked on property insurance? I hear rates are heading north in a hurry and only a couple insurers left willing to write policies in the state.

YES! New homes have an advantage though… built to the latest codes, everything is new.

@weekend-warrior I’d suggest looking into Kin Insurance for homeowners. Internet only, no local agents or brokers but an agent is available over the phone to handle everything and answer questions. We found them to be substantially lower than others.

1 Like

Keeping track of who owns what Hotels is like trying to find out who makes your Dishwasher. All the brands have merged and changed it’s almost impossible to know unless you’re in that industry…and even than you may not know.

2 Likes