An EV becomes cost effective when gasoline goes over $1.80 per gallon

What EV do you consider to be most similar to a Lexus?

Interesting comparision even though you didn’t get “deep in the weeds” with the time value of money (the extra interest cost of an EV or the offsetting EV credits).

Being a “Boomer” (retired, low annual mileage and probably last car new ) the immediate Gas savings are a consideration but things like the lifetime (in years) of the batteries, future cost of energy and future availability of repairs are much more important.

Point being that right now EV vs IC depends on the composite of your individual circumstance and our overall goals.

Yeah and don’t forget the life cycle costs of the minerals to build the batteries and where they come from and the cost of recycling the used up batteries. And panels and wind mills coming from China. It’s a Trojan horse, turning our energy grid over to China. Good move folks.

That would definitely be a cause for concern–if it was true.
Luckily, that statement is not accurate.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-03/china-s-wind-turbine-makers-expand-into-europe-u-s

Even the low-tech structures for wind turbines are made in The US, and production will be ramping-up at this facility sometime soon:

3 Likes

What else is new

3 Likes

If you can afford it, the new Lucid has a “base model” (starts at $77,400.00 before $7,500.00 federal tax credit) with a supposed range of 520 miles. Also, it accepts a super charger (for fast charging, not for forced induction!) which will supposedly provide a 300 mile charge in 20 minutes. On the other hand, it also has a model with 3 motors and the equivalent of 1,111 hp.

in the USA
 yet. Here in New Zealand we get the UX300e.
I understand an RZ will be released this year in the US.

Same platform as the Subaru and Toyota joint venture EV crossovers, Reveal should be next month and available later this year as 2023 Models.

On your electric bill, you can find out what your local electric company charges per kWh. The rate is often lower at night. But let’s say it’s 15 cents per kWh, which is a little above the national average. So your second number is 15. You multiply 15 cents times 31.6 kWh, and you find out it costs you about $4.75 to drive the car 100 miles.

By comparison, if gasoline cost $3 a gallon, a gas-powered car that gets 33 mpg would cost you $9 to go 100 miles.
a corolla costs 10k. a tesla costs 44k. car cost is not relevant??

I just like a straight cost per mile figure and can be enlightening. I used to figure cost per mile in 10,000 mile increments which was interesting but I just don’t care anymore. That’s where I came up with in the long run it doesn’t matter if new or used for cost per mile. I was disappointed the the article did not just break it down to a simple cost per mile.

At any rate, I am less interested in the comparison cost per mile than in the utility factor. For example if I drive 200 miles to my BILs house, how the heck am I going to recharge (on a practical level) to get home again? Expect him to run a cord to my car and pay the bill? Take it to a charging port and take an uber back to his house while charging, and so on? Just not practical unless you have a separate car just for tooling around town.

At any rate from my own quick calculations, my fuel cost per mile is around 11 cents so costs me $11 to go 100 miles. Big deal. The fixed asset cost per mile for the car itself is closer to 65 cents per mile. So cost me $65 to go the same 100 miles overall. I don’t ever figure junk like insurance, oil changes, car washes, etc. Just too insignificant to worry about. Just keep your eye on the whole ball. If all you worry about is an extra $6 for 100 miles, you’ll miss the $65 for the privilege of saving the $6.

I don’t care what anyone does. They should do what they want, just don’t tell me what to do. When the stars align and the truth comes out, it will be success or failure in the market.

1 Like

Lets compare a Tesla Model 3 with an Audi A4. Similar size cars, similar price points, $44,000, for the one-step-up models. Dollar-for-dollar, equivalent luxury and features. Both hit 60 mph in a little over 5 seconds.

Tesla, 62 kW-hr battery, 272 mile range, recharge at 80% depleted costs roughly $7.35 in electricity figuring 85% efficiency of the charger and the charge efficiency of the battery combined and 12.9 cents a kW-hr (the same cost of energy you are paying for a gallon of gas at $.29 a gallon!) The cost to drive is 3.5 cents a mile.

The Audi gets 34 mpg highway (the only proper comparison because that 272 mile range is only valid comparing highway travel) at a fuel cost of $4.29 that is 12.6 cents a mile or 3.6 times more.

Use your wife’s Acura for those trips. How many trips each month?

That is what killed the electric cars in 1912
 If your BIL lived on a farm, he HAD no electricity for you to recharge
 Now, he just doesn’t have a charger

Can’t you just plug many of these EVs into a 220V or 110V outlet? How long a recharge time for either? How long do you want to visit your BIL? :wink:

According to this (timely) article, only get 3-5 miles/hour on 110V, fine for a plugin hybrid, not so much for an EV:
Electric Vehicles Explained - Car Talk

Yes that’s exactly the point. You can’t have an EV at this point as the primary vehicle. It has to be a second vehicle (like the 62 Falcon was) used only for around town or commuting in the big city. The point is practicality. They miss the market. It is for secondary use if you choose, not primary for a good portion of the population. People in the highly populated big cities simply do not realize the distances involved between the two coasts.

Gotta go take the charger off my lawn mower battery.

Yes they all accept 240VAC even when using the 120VAC 12 Amp NEMA 5-15 plug as far as I know. Doing this doubles the charging rate. Plugging in to an electric dryer 30A socket will double the charging rate yet again.

But my point is that even if you take your EV on a highway trip that is within range, you are not saving any money until gasoline goes over something like $2.40 to $3 per gallon. When gasoline is at $4 per gallon you are going to all this trouble to save what is the equivalent of $1 per gallon on gasoline. After this oil prices will crash as they always do every so often, and with gasoline at $2 per gallon it will be costing you MORE to drive the EV on the highway. I used a highway trip as an example because that is where traditional vehicles have the best economy. In pure city driving (19 MPH average speed) an EV can still have a bit of an advantage. In extreme city driving situations like in India or China an EV has a much bigger advantage. But then again so can 3 wheel minibus with a motorcycle engine in it. How does an EV compete with an 80 MPG motorcycle type vehicle?

My parents face the same dilemma regarding EV’s, Probably only use 20mi or range a day but oNce a month they travel 150mi+ each way to see my brother and the grandkids. Most ev’s would have more than enough range to get there and most of the way back, Charging on the way home would more involve taking a different exit than usual charging while they grab a fast food meal.

They’re driving up this weekend and worse case they can take the 2010 Prius if they want to save gas costs since it gets almost double the mileage of Dad’s CRV

I’m not trying to convince anyone, but it is just how I see it fitting into my normal life. I’ll accept a potential 4 cent per mile versus 11 cents for the time being even, but you know how that goes. (Think of the cost of LP a couple years ago and people begging for supply.) But try taking a 1500 mile drive and the extra hotel costs. You can’t hardly find a place without bugs for $100 a night. And air, bus, train travel is not always a viable alternative. OK, I get it, build more trains like back in the 1920’s. Just sayin’ is all.

?? If it’s a 120 v circuit it will only charge at 120v.

The EV would be a secondary vehicle used as a daily driver, while the luxury vehicle used for trips would be the primary vehicle. I don’t see any difference based on how the cars are labeled.

Perhaps because they fall asleep during the flight. Many people object to driving for more than 4 hours.