An Apple self-driving electric car by 2024?

Being an Apple product, I assume that they will follow their traditional practice of requiring that you ship the product back to them when it comes time to replace the battery. :wink:

3 Likes

No doubt, and the car will insist that you enter your password at the most inopportune times to connect to the iCloud.

3 Likes

:laughing:

But, you will be able to drive it into a mall and have a self-proclaimed “genius” give you advice.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Let’s beat on Apple!

While we’re at it, I got a laptop from the main project I work on, at decided to get a MacBook Pro. Big mistake. I had numerous problems with system integration into the applications at work. The problems were so frustrating that after a year, I traded it for a Dell Windows 10 laptop, and all those problems went away.

I wouldn’t want one for a home machine, either. Two or three years ago all our PCs were wiped out by a lightning strike in the back yard. The MacBook was more expensive than the HP laptop I bought and had fewer features. The new one has static memory for the hard drive, and cold start to password prompt is 7 seconds. Shutdown is equally quick.

People complain about companies about the proprietary systems
Apple is the KING of proprietary systems. They make it very difficult for other companies to connect devices to their systems. Getting an Apple car repaired will be like the problems farmers are having with John Deer. Independents will be locked from repairing them.

5 Likes

You have to declare your operating system universe and stick to it across all your devices.

Microsoft plays well with Android
Windows10 and Android phones

Apple plays well with
 well
 Apple, so Macs and iPhones.

I know people who swear by each but I don’t know many who cross platforms.

Car makers must be compatible with both or they will lose customers.

As a software engineer and now director of software development
Apple really is very closed
However Microsoft has a development platform called Visual Studio Core
Real nice. You use the Microsoft language C# (or C++, F#, Python, JavaScript
etc
etc) and develop code for the Windows/Web/Linux and Apple platforms. I can even create an IPhone app
HOWEVER
In order to post that app into the Apple Library - you need a Mac.

2 Likes

For some inexplicable reason, Toyota didn’t begin to add Android compatibility to their cars’ Bluetooth systems until this past year. And, only some of their models now have it. Why would they have assumed–for several years–that everyone who buys one of their vehicles has an Apple-made phone?

2 Likes

I think that Toyota responded to customer’s interests. When enough potential customers said that a lack of Android compatibility was an impediment to buying a Toyota, they added it. BTW, consumer focus groups were the most likely source of this information. They may never have known about lost customers due to Android incompatibility if they waited for lost showroom sales, reviews, or forum chat.

Yes, but the fact that most of their competitors responded to customers’ interests a few years earlier seems to me like a curious failure on the part of Toyota’s product planners to fully understand the marketplace.

Toyota managed to do the complex work of developing the most reliable hybrids several years before everyone else, but for some reason, until this past year, they couldn’t simply add the already available technology for Android phone compatibility that almost all of their competitors were using.
'tis a mystery

:thinking:

I’ve used both PC and Mac. I like PC’s. I only use Macs when I’m forced to. Horrible user interface with a definite “form over function” approach. That’s fine for an art museum but a tool should be useful first and pretty only insofar as it doesn’t interfere with its work.

Honda beat 'em to the hybrid game by a year or so with the Insight, which also got better mileage in the first generation than the Prius did, or does today.

As to the infotainment tech, yeah. Toyota is woefully behind everyone else. There were some things in the infotainment stack of my '07 TL that were more advanced than the one in my '16 ES350.

1 Like

Yes, but Honda’s “reliability” record with their hybrids is vastly inferior to that of Toyota.

I wonder if Toyota’s slow move to include Android has something to do with their long generation cycles.

What android things do you mean? We have no problem in streaming music, phone and text messaging over bluetooth. And I kept thinking how like windows, have to hit the start button to turn off the car :wink:

In general yes, but I don’t remember hearing much about problems with the gen-1 Insight other than that the wheel pants would get torn off if you didn’t detach them before taking it through a car wash.

I have never used anything but a Mac Mini desktop. Of course I never used a computer until I was retired 12 years.

I got an Apple on the advice from my grandson who has a double Masters and a Doctorate in computers who said it would be easier for someone with no computer skills and not much interest in spending much time and effort in gaining more. I am on my second mini, they have been dead reliable though. The first one never stopped working, It was just that nothing was compatible with the 16 bit processor anymore.

When I got through installing my new one with the help of Apple support the lady said “You have deleted every feature that makes your new computer different from your old one.”

I said “Exactly”.

1 Like

The Bluetooth in my 2014 Toyota Camry has always worked seamlessly with several Android phones of different brands.

Toyota had their own En-Tune system. They put a lot of features in that system in the hope that people wouldn’t go aftermarket and loose those features
they were wrong.

Apple stock swings $250 billion in 1 week. Goes up/down $100 billion in 1 day? Crazy. Cook says Xmas is coming. Maybe Santa will increase our value $100 billion if I wish hard. And it happens.

There are currently a little more than 17 billion share outstanding. At a price of $130 or so per shar, the market capitalization of about $2.2 trillion. $250 billion is more than a 10% swing. Looking at the sales data, that might have occurred in September of this year, and was a loss. OTOH, that appears to be a correction of a big run up from the beginning of August that particular day. The value went up from August to October despite that big loss. The value continued to rise and is about the same as that early September spike. In context, it isn’t all that unusual.