2014 Camry with 19,600 miles
Three tires patched approx 4k to 5k miles ago
Oil changed, tires rotated approx 600 miles ago
When tires were rotated, all three patches were sound with no problems. Tire tread still excellent. No air leaks at all since the tires were patched. No driving, handling problems. No reason not to trust tires despite the patches. Service department vetted the tires as safe, good, totally road worthy only a month and about 600 miles ago.
I am about to make a 800 mile round trip, 95% interstate driving. The car is only two years old (barely broken in by my standards). Absolutely no issues or problems, runs like a dream.
Prep I have made for the trip:
- regular weekly check of oil; full and clean
- regular weekly check of tires; proper pressure with no loss, no sign of uneven wear, no cracks, etc.
- regular weekly check of fluid levels; all full and normal, topped off windshield washer fluid
- checked spare tire pressure, still at full pressure from my normal springtime check and adding air several weeks ago
- cleaned car inside and outside with detail attention to clean glass all around and clean headlights and tailights
- maps and road atlas onboard
- cell phone with in-car charger cord
- AAA membership active
- window cleaning supplies onboard
- emergency bottled water and snacks onboard
I am experienced making long road trips, usually alone. Just haven’t yet made farther than a 200 mile round trip drive in this car. And it has been two and a half years since my last 800 mile trip. But I have literally been on several cross country driving trips in excess of 15k miles in an older, far less reliable car with no problems, so a mere 800 mile trip doesn’t faze me. I know my physical limitations and allow extra time for more and longer rest breaks than when younger. (Okay, so I am 61 years old but hardly antique.)
Despite all this, for some reason many family and friends who have never even seen this car, nice newish Camry that it is, think I should rent a car to make this trip. Really??? It is only one day’s drive from St. Louis to Dubuque, two days in Dubuque, and one day back. Newish car with low miles, trustworthy with no problems, tires vetted as no worries, etc. I have total confidence in this car.
So what reason is there for almost universal pressure to rent a car for such a short trip??? Am I missing something???
…still reading, still learning…