Am I Missing Something?

Marnet is far less likely to have an accident in her own, well maintained car than in a rental with which she is unfamiliar! The relatives apparently have not thought about this aspect!!!

The late father of a friend faithfully drove his Ford Crown Victoria 900 miles across the West every summer and Christmas to visit his son. He never had a roadside problem or an accident. He only stopped doing it when a mandatory test revealed his city driving skills were not up to par at age 92. He then voluntarily turned in his license.

@Docnick
"Marnet is far less likely to have an accident in her own, well maintained car than in a rental with which she is unfamiliar!"

I think I know what you are trying to say. However, I had no problem jumping into a 2016 Dodge Journey (I didn’t even know what one was) and very safely driving it 3500 miles. It’s going from one car to another, not an Airbus to Boeing.

It’s not me I’m concerned with as far as being involved in a collision. A collision involving me is much more likely going to be caused by a distracted driver or a drunk in another vehicle! Edit: … Or… Driving on unfamiliar roads or trying to navigate all the weirdo road construction zones and detours, etcetera. All the more reason to leave one’s own vehicle home when travelling far from home! :smile:

CSA

Just drive your own car with a clear mind . there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
merely an 800 mile round trip is . . nothin’ 'round these parts.

We routinely go to Phoenix for Nascar races . . 686 m.r.t. on the interstates ( we can trim miles to 600, but increase time, going the small roads, Gallup to Phoenix )
By the time we go shopping or get a motel and drive back and forth ? It’s easily an 800 mile weekend.

A typical quicky day trip to Albuquerque for a doctor or concert is a 350/400 r.t. ( 280 just to got there and back plus all the running around. )

Just last summer . . We tool our 100k Expedition to California for the family vacation. ZERO issues.

The only road trip rental I’ve ever seen in this town was just last month. My neighbors have an Excursion with 300+k on the clock so they rented a new Ford pickup for their last long trip.

Marnet ; drive on and happy motoring.

@“the same mountainbike” Nope, not a smoker. Never have been. Nor is it allowed in my car, or home for that matter. I keep my car so clean inside I am accused of being anal about its upkeep. I loath getting in cars that are rolling trash pits or otherwise filthy and smelly. Sure, grunge gets tracked in onto the floorboards but a good vacuuming periodically keeps things decent.

@shadowfax. Your comment about towing a back up car just gave me my good laugh for the day.

I not only learn a lot reading this forum, I meet a wonderful variety of people and viewpoints. Best of all, I regularly run into great humor. Most of you regulars turn pithy comments that keep me laughing. Thanks not just for the good advice I have so often received over the years but also for many good laughs.

@“the same mountainbike” No apology needed, sir. No harm, no foul.

Renting a car might make sense if:

your current car is a junker. (not the case here)

your current car is a low mileage lease vehicle. (not the case here)

your current car can’t handle all the gear and people you plan to take with you. (not the case here)

your current car has a very uncomfortable seat and kills your back on long trips. (not the case here)

the people who want you to rent a car pay for the rental. (not the case here)

There could be a few more but that’s what I’ve got for now.

UT

@Marnet ,

Are you sure there is no TPMS? If there is a button to the right of the radio the says CAR. Push it. Then select tire pressures. My mothers 2012 Camry LE has this, it even give the pressures for each tire.

@PvtPublic. Absolutely certain. The sport and upscale trims have it but my basic trim level does not. I have triple checked. Read the manual multiple times. Checked with the dealer. Would be nice to have but not a big deal.

Unless I am wrong (I was wrong once last year) I think any vehicle under a certain gross weight had to have TPMS sold in 2008 or later.

I can always check again.

Check your owners manual, I know you have TPMS but don’t know how you access it on whatever model you have. On my 2012 LE you just press “car” on the right side of the radio display.

Yes! You are missing the opportunity of a lifetime to rent a classic car for your trip! I’m sure this is exactly what they had in mind…

http://www.besttransportation.com/Fleet/ClassicCars

… And more snacks.

@jtsanders. Ooooooooh a Silver Cloud. Now we’re talking. LOL

If my memory banks are working I think we had quite a few discussions on the TPMS issue and it was concluded it didn’t have it. Geeze the car is brand new with 20,000 miles. Why would anyone want to rent? That’s what cars are for to use and enjoy.

Beginning in 2007 all cars, SUVs and light trucks below a certain GVWR are required to have a tire pressure monitor system. Not all vehicles have a digital pressure display, some only have a warning light.

@Marnet

Your car is new enough and under 10000lbs GVWR, so assuming it’s a US-spec car, it does have some kind of TPMS

I’m assuming you think it doesn’t have TPMS, because you don’t see any sensors

That being said, you most likely have indirect TPMS. While individual tire pressures can’t be monitored, the system monitors the abs wheel speed sensors, to detect sudden and massive loss of pressure . . . in an individual tire. The reasoning is that an underinflated tire will have more rpms than a properly inflated tire. The system compares speed signals of the left front and right rear. And it does the same for the right front and left rear.

I just bought a 2014 Civic for my mom, and it has indirect TPMS. Some manufacturers recently began moving away from direct TPMS to indirect. Based on what you said, it seems Toyota is among them

The downfall of indirect tpms is that it can’t display individual tire pressures on the screen. And if all 4 of the tires are down 10psi, it won’t recognize that. But if 3 of them are at 32psi, and 1 is at 20psi, it will detect that, and notify you about underinflation

I personally think that indirect tpms is a mediocre system, but it apparently meets the legal requirements

And tire and/or rim replacements are easier, quicker, and cheaper, because regular valve stems can be used.

That’s the only advantage, as far as I’m concerned

Yep, there is no readout of individual tire pressures. I carefully double checked again.

Since I frequently eyeball for any low tire appearance, am sensitive to steering and handling , and manually check each tire with a quality tire guage almost every Saturday, in forty years of driving I have never failed to catch a low tire early before it lost more than a few pounds. Thirty five years ago I did have a tire go flat overnight from a nail. And I have twice had the air let out of all four tires, once by pranksters at college and once by a jerk at work.

I agree that having a TPMS readout is very handy. I liked having it in the Impala. Wish I had it now in the Camry. But what I can afford is a four cylinder LE trim which lacks the readout. C’est la vie. I’m anal about manually double checking pressure so for me it is NOT an issue or worry.

Maybe the stress of the Impala hasn’t completely disappeared yet… :wink:

@ok4450. FDLOL. Yes, something like that. It was a nice car, just happened to get one that proved to be a mechanical hanger queen. In some ways it was nicer than the Camry, in some ways the Camry is nicer, overall about a tie. But the reliability of the Camry, torque converter issue notwithstanding, has been stellar trouble free, so huge advantage Camry. (But I wouldn’t mind taking a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost for a spin.