Alternator cable

i just had the thermostat replaced and had the coolant system flushed on my 04 Jetta due to the malfunction indicator light coming on. now they tell me i need my alternator cable replaced because it is showing signs of “getting hot” and will possibly need the fuse panel replaced. truly all necessary? they said i could go another month before needing it done. car has 50k on it and otherwise is doing fine.

It’s time to trade in your mechanic for a new one. Get a second opinion.

If you were my customer you would have a very long list of tests performed and reasons why your car needs the items that you list need repaired/replaced. Are you giving us all information that your mechanic has told you? if yes, I have a bad feeling about your mechanic. In short I am in agreement with “misselman”.

Damage to wiring due to heat is very obvious. It is caused by a resistive connection point and high current flow through it. If the damage isn’t real bad you can usually clean the connections and correct the trouble. The longer you leave it the worse it gets. I suggest you see if the bad connection can be cleaned up before it gets any worse.

the coolant system flushed on my 04 Jetta due to the malfunction indicator light coming on …

Now that is a good one.

now they tell me i need my alternator cable replaced because it is showing signs of “getting hot” and will possibly need the fuse panel replaced.

There may be some truth to that one, but I don’t see the fuel panel being involved nor do I see why the cable would need to be replaced, when the contacts likely just need to be cleaned. (note I did not see the car, it is possible he is right, but if he is right, he should have contacted you and replaced the cable.

I suggest replacing the mechanic not the cable.

This could be a good mechanic that looks bad through the filter of limited information.

There could be corroded, overheated connections at the alternator and the fuse panel, especially if dirty or salty water got splashed under the hood.

A stuck thermostat and a severely overheated engine could trigger a MIL.

My bottom line: get a second opinion.