Alternatives to beeping backup?

Hey friends! Some of you may be frustrated by this but as a car mechanic its actually one of my specialties to circumvent safety features for the sake of my customers’ comfort. I haven’t dealt with priui specifically, but fairly often these kinds of dingers and beepers have their own little speaker, hidden somewhere in the vehicle. Once found, it’s all too trivial to disable or remove. Parking sensors can also more often than not be dismounted and remounted at an angle which forces it to look at the clouds, seatbelt reminder lights and noises can be eliminated by purchasing a replacement buckle and slotting it into the clicker, and automatic braking can be completely circumvented by installing a master/slave cylinder system disconnected from the ecu.

And your lawyers and insurance company know you do this?

5 Likes

This sounds like a monumentally stupid idea

3 Likes

…whoa… and people consider me to be “living on the edge”

I was not aware that vehicles are now employing both an internal as well as the Delivery-Truck-esque external audible warning.

From a technical standpoint I could make your external warning sound play Beethovens Moonlight Sonata if I wanted to… However, and this is a BIG however… altering that warning sound, that we all by now recognize as a vehicle reversing and changing it into something that an Ice Cream Truck might be playing, would nullify the “warning properties” of that sound… and I’m no lawyer but methinks that would be not only unethical, but highly illegal.

So nobody is likely to entertain modifying this apparatus for you…certainly no one will change its actual sound. That would be, how do I say this, “unwise”

1 Like