Alignment report interpretation

I just purchased new tires and paid $90 for an alignment. The report shows red numbers for the right rear tire Toe measurement both before and after. .36 before and .37 after. If I’m reading the chart correctly the acceptable limit for that tire is .26. The Total Toe is also in red at .53. In my mind the fact that these numbers are in red indicates they still need to be corrected…. do I need to go back and insist they correct that rear tire?

@NanaJane, I probably won’t be able to answer your question definitively. Others here probably can. But you need to provide the specific year and model of our Nissan. Not all cars are created equal for a) alignment specifications or b) how the alignment is adjusted, especially in the rear.

Why not go back and ask them to explain the report?

It is a 2011 Versa S - I will go back if anyone says red numbers are a problem….

@NanaJane, those numbers look too large. The 0.37 is in degrees. Since it is positive, the front of the rear tire points into the center of the car. That is for one tire. If the limit is 0.26, total maximum may be 0.52, or maybe less. The total toe, at 0,53, in red, indicates it is out of spec and it is the sum of left and right. So the left rear toe is 0.53-0.37 or 0.16 degrees (seems about the right number). The right rear is toed in too much. You car will not be entirely straight rolling down the road and there will be a bit more tire wear than there should be. Your alignment shop needs to answer why this was not corrected. It may be non-adjustable, meaning something is bent. There may be a “kit” of shims or parts developed to fix it but you need to know why it isn’t right.

Why did you get the alignment in the first place, did your tires wear out unusually early or have an unusual wear pattern? Did the car handle funny or pull in one direction or the other? Unless there is a good reason to get the alignment, you should just leave things alone. New tires is not a good reason.

The rear tires on most small Nissans is not adjustable. They can be adjusted by removing the rear hub and inserting shims, but that is a lot of work. The rear tires may not be out of alignment anyway. Those alignment machines have to be calibrated from time to time, your car could have been put on a machine that was out of calibration.

I’ve never felt that the need for shims or for eccentric hardware kits in order to align a vehicle is a reason to not do it. Unless, of course, the situation is described to the owner and he/she chooses not to pay for the necessary hardware.

I too think the OP should go back to the shop and ask them to explain. The numbers should not be in the red zones.

One of my complaints about alignment shops is that frequently if the factory didn’t provide adjust, the shop WILL NOT adjust it. I strongly suspect that is the case here.

Yes, go back, but be prepared to have to pay for the shims (or whatever) needed to do the adjustment.

My recommended guy for alignment aligns to the center of specs, though at 155k mikes, I have not done one yet, and have no wear or driveability issues.

How do any of you guys know the alignment machine is properly calibrated? I would not trust the machine. And there could be some operator error here, seen that a lot.