Alfa Romeo making noise between 2400 and 2700 RPMs

I have a 2002 Alfa Romeo 156, 1.8 liter engine. Regardless of the gear it’s in, there is a somewhat loud noise. This also occurs while in Neutral and the engine is “revved”. The noise sounds a bit like a chain being pulled from behind the car. IT also sounds a bit like - imagine this - a wing nut is loose on the air-filter housing and the washer is vibrating on the threaded post. The engine does not have an air-filter housing, but it does sound that way. Also, the noise is too loud to be a “loose nut and vibrating washer”. Any ideas?

This is a long shot. I had an intake gasket replaced on my 2000 Blazer. When I got it back it was making a similar noise under acceleration. I traced the noise to the accelerator pedal cable and back to the throttle body. One of the cable tie downs was not replaced after the repair work was down. I secured the cable with a tie wrap and no more noise.

Ed B.

I think you may be better served asking your question on a European specific Automotive site. Fiat stopped importing Alfas to the USA back in 1995 with the 164 Sedans with V6 only and the old rear wheel drive Spiders.

AlfaDriver,

I appreciate the advice. Tried that and got no where. Hoping someone might have had an idea. I do thank you though.

Ed B.,

Worth a try. At this point, anything is. Thanks!

If you haven’t asked yet, I would try this site.

http://alfaowner.com/Forum/

Seems like the place to ask on newer Alfas.

Sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattle to me. Any muffler shop should be able to find and fix this in a minute.

It’s also a common problem on many cars; not just ARs.

Sometimes you can locate these jingles by listening through a tube, like a vacuum hose. One end at your ear and scan slowly around the engine compartment with the other end until you hear it loudest. It could be something completely insignificant like a loose cable.

Have not heard of that site. I’ll give it a shot! Thanks again!!

Hmmm, now I never consider the muffler. I would have that since it dealt with RPMs, the thought of a tranny issue made more sense. Now thinking of it from the muffler, that make sense. Thanks!!

Outstanding suggestion. I’ll give it a whorl and see what happens. Outstanding suggestion. Thanks!!