Alero Transmission Slipping

My wife owns a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero with around 90,000 miles on it. Recently, she said her transmission feels like it is slipping (delayed acceleration), especially when stopped completely and then applying the accelerator. About a year ago we had the transmission serviced at the dealer, for what I believe was a typical transmission fluid replacement. At that time I would guess it had 75,000 miles on it.

What should our next step be? If the worse-case scenario is a need for a new transmission, do you believe that it would be worth it to get hopefully several more years out of the car? Thank you for all your help.

A lot of transmission shops will “flush” a transmission during fluid replacement. This is a cheap alternative to actually removing the transmission pan and replacing the fluid filter. It’s also a dangerous alternative because it flushes pieces of grit and metal deep into your transmission. The filter replacement is actually more important than replacing the fluid. I’m afraid that’s what happened in your case. Have your transmission pan removed by another mechanic and replace the filter and fluid. Keep your fingers crossed and it may allow your transmission to survive a few more years. Any shop that flushes transmissions is in the business of transmission damage not service.

The first thing you need to do is check the fluid level. If it is low, it will do this. Make sure the level is good.

transman

Does the “slip” occur in 1st gear only? If this is the case, and I think it just might be, this will require work by a cert trans mechanic. Either a good AAMCO shop you trust, or, the dealer will have to do this one. Expect the job to hit you up for @ $900. And, 90% of the bill will be for labor, not kidding. It is a labor-intensive repair. And, yes, I would repair the tranny because the Alero is a great car. I think that’s the reason GM doesn’t make it anymore - it’s too good. Thanks, Roger Smith, fer nuthin.