2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.2L transmission slip?

I just bought a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero with over 245k miles on it for super cheap, fully aware that it would have issues. It was owned previously by a driving school that did keep up with maintenance, it’s in really good condition for what I got.

I had been driving it thru the week, done a relatively long trip on Tuesday with no issues, then Thursday I’d been driving for a couple hours to go see family, and I started to feel a slip in the transmission while accelerating in lower gears. I don’t know too much about cars, just basics at this point. I pulled over and called my uncle who told me to let it cool down and had me add some ATF to it because it sounds like it was low? Which I went to O’reillys for and got the right one and did and turned around and got it home just fine with no more symptoms.
The next day, my uncle came over and checked it out, said there’s no leaks, my ATF level was fine if not a little high (I had no way to check it myself when it happened, GM made my life a little hard for a minute) but fine otherwise. So I’m trying to figure out what caused this in the first place, I know it’s early on enough in the problem that I CAN get it fixed, I just need to figure out what’s going on with it first.

Otherwise, it runs great. There was a busted vent tube on top (don’t know the name of it, but it was like a 4 inch tube on the very top closer to the passenger side) that we replaced. It doesn’t get too hot, everything looks good. Great gas mileage :sweat_smile: I just want to figure this out before it becomes TOO expensive to fix.

Is there a record about when the last time the transmission fluid was serviced?

If not, I’d have the filter/fluid serviced.

Tester

1 Like

I would do an old-fashioned automatic transmission fluid and filter service

Drive the car several miles to get the fluid up to proper operating temperature

Drop the pan

Replace the gasket and filter . . . I believe the original gasket was a high-quality reusable part. If it is and it’s still in good shape, I’d be tempted to reuse that one

And refill with fresh fluid

Don’t get talked into a flush, unless the shop is ALSO dropping the pan

One of the main reasons to drop the pan is to replace the filter and SEE what the fluid looks like, if there’s debris, clutch pack material, etc. at the bottom of the pan . . . at least, that’s how I view the situation

1 Like

Do you mean on top of the transmission?

Slipping means worn clutches or lack of pressure to apply the clutches. If after servicing, it still begins to slip, the answer is an overhaul for about $3000. Only a matter of time. Just imho.

Or, the transmission fluid is dirty and needs to be changed,

Tester

I’d like a better description than “slipping.” In automatic transmission/clutch-speak slipping is experienced as applying the gas and the engine revs up but without sending power to the wheels.

For people who don’t know much about cars, I’ve seen quite a few things described as slipping that weren’t.

So, you know. Describe exactly what happened - what you did, what the car did, what you felt (not emotionally ;-), what you saw, what you heard (maybe).

That does not change or question of negate the advice already given which is to have the pan/filter serviced.

The car lurched, made a “ca-chunk” sort of sound, and the RPMs jumped a little bit.

No not on top of the transmission, on top of the engine I’m sorry

The only way to check the ATF in your 4T40E transmission is to get it up to operating temp, run it through all the gears using the shifter and foot on the brake, may or may not need a scanner to check the trans temp for a low to high temp and remove the oil level control plug to see if any fluid drips out, if it does then let the overfill run out to a drip and then reinstall the oil level check plug (little pipe plug), if nothing comes out, then add ATF until it does… Engine does have to be running and the car on level ground with a catch pan under it, or you will make a mess…

Drop down to page 4 and read how to fill the trany…and where the oil level control plug is…

https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/documents/ptq/ig_4t40e_4t45e.pdf

And yes, a pan drop with an inspection of the fluid and fabric and or metal(s) are in the pan…

This is NOT what you want to see… lol

That will make that really good deal not a good deal anymore…

Depending on the trans, an overhaul around here is about $3000. Not the end of the world.

Unlikely to be related to the slipping transmission problem symptom then.

Sounds a bit more like a hard shift which can happen for several reasons.

The first step doesn’t change though - have the trans serviced. Ask around to see if there’s a trusted, locally owned shop in your area that specializes in transmissions. Take it there, tell them what happened, and ask them to evaluate and service it.