Air Stops Coming Out Of Vents

2004 Subaru Outback in good condition

Air frequently stops coming out of the vents whether I’m running heat or A/C. It seems to slow to a trickle before stopping altogether. If I turn the A/C off, the air gradually comes back and I get a blast of cold air. But then it may stop again about 15 minutes later. Sometimes there is a sound like a loose vacuum cleaner hose under the dash.

I’ve taken it to the dealership and to an independent shop. Neither could reproduce the problem. The shop thought it could be a small “squirrel cage” fan getting hot and sticking. Does that sound reasonable? What’s involved with fixing that?

I need a car with reliable heat before winter, and I’m pretty much ignorant about fixing cars. I’d rather not get a new car, but I can’t seem to get this one fixed.

Suggestions?

It could be as easy as replacing the blower motor. It may indeed be getting too hot, and seizing.

The shop thought it could be a small “squirrel cage” fan getting hot and sticking. Does that sound reasonable? What’s involved with fixing that?

I sure does. That is the blower motor and they do tend to do that as they fail. You also will likely start loosing lower speeds on the system until only the high speed setting works.

How much depends on the car as some are very difficult to get to and others are easy.