Air Fuses?

I’v had all kinds of problems with this car, many outside to nature of this inquiry. My main problem as of late is today my car wouldn’t blow any air out of the vents. Hot or cold, none at all. On the knob settings none of the setting one through five (high to low) would affect the air. Nothing would work. So I took a peak in the fuse boxes and replaced the Hi (5) fuse and so now I can get high heat or high air, but I cant seem to find the fuses for the other settings. I would like to replace those too, cause it is probably whats wrong, and I’m trying to avoid a costly repair. Anybody have any suggestions? I’v already looked in the owners manual without luck on how to find these fuses.

Typical GM technique is to use a resistor block for the lower speeds.This is where your problem lies.

Your fuse(s) blew because you have a problem. In this case, it is probably a failing blower motor. This would also be what burned out your blower speed resistor block.

Agreed with tardis. Blown fuses and burned resistors are often caused by a dragging blower motor.

As those above I agree that it most likely is the common problem of a bad blower motor blowing out the fuse and resistors. Just replacing the resistor block will restore normal operation for a short time. You will need to address the motor.

General note: Fuses are there to protect your car from greater damage. They seldom blow unless there is something else wrong.

What everyone is saying about a bad blower motor causing the fuses or resistor to burn out, makes sense, but I have had to replace 2 blower motors in the 13 years I have had my van, but never have replaced the fuse or resistor. Hope i never have to.

I would before jumping right on a motor replacement, replace the resistor and the fuse,see if it blows,perhaps measure the current. You won’t get points deducted if you wait and see if the motor must go also.

I agree with the advice about checking the current draw of the motor to see if there is a problem with it. You can do this by removing the fuse and replacing it with the leads of a ammeter. It should be able to handle at least 10 amps of current. I’m not sure what normal current draw should be but would guess about 6 amps would be fairly close. You might also check to make sure nothing is restricking the motor if the current is found to be higher than it should be. You may find a rodent nest in the ducting.

Most blower motors fail with an open circuit. The brushes wear down and loose contact with the armature. Under this condition, the fuse and the resistors will not be affected. If the blower motor has a high drag condition, the OP would notice that the blower is slow, high won’t seem like high, more like med or low.

If the motor is at fault, it could be two thins, a loose wire that shorts out occasionally or something got into the fan and stopped it from turning for awhile.