Air Conditioning

I Have a 2005 GMC Envoy 6 cylinder,my a/c cools fine but in hot weather it takes about 5 to 6 minutes to cool down, I don’t have that problem with any other vechicle I own. Does anyone have the same problem

Do you mean it takes 5-6 minutes to cool the interior, or 5-6 minutes before you get cold air from the vents?

It takes that long to have cool air come out but after that it is fine

Its blowing hot air for that long. I have brought it into the dealer but they can find nothing wrong.I have never had an ac take that long to cool. I have had this problem since I bought it at 17,000 miles, it now has 34,000.

Compared to what other vehicles?
A vehicle with a lot of interior cabin space and a lot of glass is going to take longer than a normal sized car to cool down.
Exterior color, window tint, etc. can all make a difference.

Other than that, the only thing would be if the system is slightly low on refrigerant. The high and low side pressures would need to be known.

I have had cars that tend to do that. Try it on re-circulate. I have found that often it spends the first few minutes just cooling off the vent system that is heat soaked.

I agree the size of the vechicle makes a difference for cooling the car down but I am saying the unit blows hot air and the air does not cool down for at least 5 minutes. If I compare it to a Chevy Express van and a Tahoe, both vechicles have cool air almost immediately, I suggested to the dealer that maybe it was low on refrigerant but they did not find that to be the case. Thanks for your reply

I have the same issue with my Caravan, comparing it to my old Galant. Was told it is because of the routing on the AC tubing is shorter in the Caravan and that’s why it takes more time to cool. Now I am not sure if I was fed a bunch of **** but they didn’t charge me for it.

I would suspect that it is normal. However, I’d check the fans at the front of the car. If this is RWD or AWD, the fan may be engine driven, and there may or may not be a booster fan for the A/C. Whatever the case, all fans should be turning in any A/C mode.

Meehan has a good theory with the heatsoaked ductwork. To confirm, touch the thick A/C tube leading from the firewall just after starting the engine. It should get pretty darned cold, as in, cold that may hurt if you touch it for too long. It shouldn’t take long. If the tube gets ice cold and the air coming into the interior is still warm, then it’s just hot ductwork. Nothing at all you can do about it.

If the tube isn’t quite ice cold but gets gradually colder as time passes, then it just takes some time for this A/C system to shed enough heat to begin condensing efficiently. You may inquire about a booster fan for the A/C condenser. I recently rigged one into my car. I now have the puller and pusher fans that were installed OEM, and an additional pusher fan that operates off the OEM pusher fan circuit. The result was a 10?F drop in A/C output temps at hot idle, and roughly 40-50psi shaved off the high side pressure. The A/C also reaches colder temps much quicker.

-Matt