Air Conditioning VACUUM

Just to be clear, you are adding refrigerant to the low side with the top of the can pointed up? This is the proper way to do it, but when working with the little cans, they get very cold very fast which drops the pressure in the can to the point that it will be lower than the low side of the compressor and it will stop filling.

One trick I use is to have a pan of HOT water at the ready and when the can gets really cold, put it into the pan of hot water. That will warm up the refrigerant and increase the pressure in the can so it flows into the system.

I think the numbers you are getting are good numbers indicating that the compressor is working, but you are just low on refrigerant. If you simply canā€™t add any more refrigerant, it may be that you have a pressure relief valve in the high side and it is blowing off refrigerant at 170 psi instead of the pressure it is supposed to blow off at.

Good Morning Tom,

Just want to let you know the problem is solved. Before I started I checked my gear to see if it was functioning properly. It boiled down to the attachment on the refrigerant can. It was defective.

When I went to purge the yellow line with the can supposedly opened with the TAP VALVE nothing would come out. I ended up completely disconnecting the hose at the manifold with no Freon escaping. Once I started to close the tap valve some Freon would start escaping. Cranking it still more it stopped again.

It was the TAP VALVE that prevented the Freon from being transmitted into the system. I managed to use the Freon in the can but it took a while.

The gauges now are running in the normal range as they should.

Regards

al