Air Conditioner Odor

A friend has a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, with less than 50K, and is getting a mousy smell from the air conditioner vents. Sounds like pugged drain holes but he says water runs out after driving. How can he access the drain holes to make sure they are clean, and with what and how can he clean the coils, if that is the problem.

Get a can of Lysol disinfectant spray and locate the air conditioner intake vent. Turn the engine on and put the ac on high–outside air. Spray the vent a while with the Lysol, and then shut off the engine. If you need to use the van, just turn the ac off and switch to recirculate until you think the Lysol is dry. The Lysol will kill the mold in the ac coils and all is well with the world! Good luck.

The drain hole is hard to get to, but one can get to it if persistent…It is a straight, hard plastic tube that sticks out toward the front of the vehicle from the rear of the engine compartment on the passenger side. It is way up high, and can be reached from underneath…Recently, I put the parking brake on, jacked up the car, put it on jack stands, took a 2-3 foot long (1/4 or 3/8 inch diameter) hose, and shoved it into the hole, and I blew into it. You can use compressed air if you have a compressor…It was stopped up, and water poured out. It took a while to find the drain, but I found it.