Air Bag light on dashboard is lit...how bad?

Okay, so I’m driving a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 w/~93k miles on it. Just the other day, the “Air Bag” light on my dashboard sprang to life. It went away briefly, then returned and hasn’t gone away again since. I haven’t been in an accident (not ever in this car), haven’t kicked my bumper, nothing. Air bags don’t “go bad”, do they? Could this be just a sensor gone south for the winter? And if it is just a sensor (crosses fingers), about how much $$ might I expect this to cost me?

The only way to know is to have the airbag computer scanned, which will probably mean a visit to the Hyundai dealer.

Could be a faulty sensor, could be something more serious. The only way to know is to scan the computer.

Please be aware that if the airbag light is on the airbags are disabled, and will NOT function in the event of a crash.

Buckle up!

You may never need the airbag to work, but if you do it can save your life so don’t ignore it, have a qualified mechanic check it.

Or start driving like those mailmen that sit on the passenger side!

Bag repairs tend to be in the high three figures or low four figures…With most cars, after they diagnose and repair the problem, a new control module must be installed…With some later models, they can reset them…Remember, your seat-belt is still your PRIMARY crash protection…

Does your horn still honk? If not, the problem is probably in the “clock Spring” which conducts electricity from the rest of the system to the airbag. You should still get the system scanned to be sure. The part is relatively cheap, maybe $60. Any good shop can install it. It doesn’t have to be the dealer. A lot of body shops are very familar with air bag systems for obvious reasons. Ask around.

On my 2004, it is the “buckle sensor”. might be the same.

Air bags don’t “go bad”, do they?

Yes, they do. They are designed to last about 8 to 10 years, and can go bad before this. They could also go bad and not trip a code. My brother had a 12-year-old car w/ air bags, got into an accident, and the air bags didn’t inflate, but just dribbled out or the casing. Thank goodness he wears his seat belt!!

But, let’s not put the cart before the horse. The system has detected a fault, turned off the system and turned on the light. You will need to go to the dealer or find a shop, like a body shop, that has a scanner that can read air bag system codes. It’s the only way you’ll know what is wrong.