Again! If You Own A GM Pickup, You May Want To Park It!

Apparently GM and NHTSA feel the way you do about it.

That’s why I questioned the admonition to “park it” and wanted to be referred to specific information that vehicle owners should do so. I have not seen that, yet.

To tell owners to consider to stop using their vehicles and/or putting fear into people does them a disservice.
CSA

I don’t know why you people just don’t read the recall?

Nowhere does it state that steering gets harder.

It states,

The driver may lose control of the steering wheel, increasing the risk of a crash.

That sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Tester

No arguement, but GM was influenced to come clean when they did to avoid criminal prosecution by the Feds suit against Toyota.

@bing, I only said that you like to act silly sometimes and so do I. I never said you had anything kind to say about my ex-neighbor Nancy Pelosi.

So if you DO read the recall notice (and not the sensationalist news article) you see the following:

Notice only 2% are estimated to be affected.
Now look closer at the conditions under which it fails:

The key words DURING LOW SPEED MANEUVERS.

I’d say the severity of the problem has been overstated. Further to that it says further down:

DURING LOW SPEED TURNS. Exactly how dangerous is it really if it happens during low speed turns and only 2% of the fielded population? Like I’m going to park and not use my truck for that reason…not!

1 Like

Looks a bit like the EPS issue with the last generation of Cobalts. We had the PS replaced on both af ours, even though we didn’t experience what they called binding at the time.

1 Federal Government mandates fuel economy standards (choosing mpg goals from thin air).
2 Manufacturers respond with electric power steering.
3 Electric power steering system exhibits a glitch.
4 Federal Government oversight leads to Recall.

Looks to me that the Feds are being “shot by their own gun.”:wink:
…and businesses and John Q Public are on the firing line, too. :gun:

Sorry, but when politicians are involved in car companies there will always be unintended consequences! What a shocker! :astonished:
CSA

Yup too bad everyone doesn’t go back to horses then there wouldn’t be any problems. Oh wait . . .If there weren’t any people we’d be fine. I always wondered what the long plan was.

I can’t speak for anyone but myself but if I owned one of the problem vehicles I would continue to use it normally until it was convenient to have the dealer do the upgrade and I feel sure my driving record wouldn’t be blemished as a result of the intermittent power assist failure. On the other hand Corvettes once had a hydraulic system that could suddenly twirl the wheel to full lock in either direction without warning regardless of speed. Now that was a safety hazard.