Advice on what to do with my Jeep

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with about 80,000 miles on it. The car has been regularly maintained and runs well. Recently the AC started blowing hot and I brought it to dealer to get checked out. They told me that I need a new compressor and quoted me a price of about $1,500. I told them there’s no way I would pay that. Anyone know if this is anywhere near an accurate price?

Get a few more estimates from independant A/C car repair shops.Dealers are usually more expensive.
The estimate I provided is what is considered a fair price at a cost of $807 for OEM part, labour incl.
https://www.driverside.com/car-repair-estimates/air-conditioning-compressor-repair/report/jeep-grand_cherokee-2011-30268-51274-0?style_id=127325

4 Likes

I would check with another mechanic if it is indeed compressor, not only a clutch-pack on it.
Some of repair shops (especially dealers) are too happy to replace entire unit for the part which costs 10% of the whole job.

5 Likes

Go to Repairpal.com to get an idea on what such work costs in your part of the world.

Also agree with getting second or even third estimates. The OEM dealer is generally, but not always, the most expensive route. In my experience, they also tend to…magnify…relatively minor issues on older vehicles that could either be ignored or managed over time. But your results may vary.

1 Like

The estimate shown is only for a compressor and labor to install it. It does not include a new receiver/driver (which is required), labor to replace the drier, refrigerant, labor to discharge then evacuate and recharge the system, and any diagnostic charges. All of which are probably included in the $1500 estimate.

4 Likes

The price sounds about right for a job that is done correctly.

The cheaper alternative is to find a shop that will just throw a compressor on it and send the vehicle on its way. The AC may not work as it should or it may work for 6 months or a year or so before the replacement compressor dies a premature death because the job was short changed so to speak.

The fact that you do not like the price does not mean that it is not accurate. And RepairPal should be taken with a grain of salt. There are many factors which influence prices from one shop to another.

4 Likes

Sounds like you already know what to do.

The repair isn’t worth it to you, at least at this time.

The Options:
Don’t get it repaired
Save up and get it repaired later
Learn how to repair it yourself

Good luck. :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I was considering getting a second opinion, but I was also considering just trading in and getting new as the car is getting older with a lot of miles.

Any opinions or experiences with trading in early and buying new car when still financing previous vehicle? I still owe around 12,000 on the Jeep and the KBB value is only around 8,000.

Huh? It’s worth 8k and you owe 11k? What did you buy it for? 11.5k? Had it long? Your depreciation curve is steeper then the loan payoff curve.

1 Like

In the past I’ve traded in vehicles that were 3 years old on which I had 5 year financing. I simply rolled the difference between the trade in amount and what I still owed into the new loan. I’ve since switched to leasing, since I want a new car every three years.

1 Like

You are talking about adding about 4000.00 to the price of a new vehicle ( I guess you mean actually new and not new to you ) and you are complaining about 1500.00 for air conditioner repair . Which is pretty much a normal price in my area .

3 Likes

If I were $4000 upside down on a car I would keep it and drive it for several more years.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’m trying to determine whether I should get an estimate to get A/C fixed and keep the car to try to get my moneys worth with the risk that something else could go bad and I’ll lose the little resale value that I have, or if I should trade in and get a new car with no worries, but have to roll money over into a loan.

Dealers are often at the high end on cost. Get an estimate from an independent shop to fix what ails your AC. Expect to pay for diagnostics whether you have them fix it or not. If you really do need a new compressor, the price might be 10% to 20% less. Given the loan, I’d fix it if I owned your GC. Also, 80,000 miles is not all that much as long as you keep up with maintenance. You can easily double that. One more thing: a new compressor on the V8 should be more expensive than the V6.

3 Likes

Thanks! That was very helpful

All things considered, a 2011 Jeep GC with 80k miles on it still has a lot of life in it. Stuff breaks. Either get it fixed or don’t. Just remember that even brand new cars have problems, not all of which will be covered by a warranty.

And since you’re $4000 upside down on this car… you definitely won’t do yourself any good trading it in.

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I am thinking now. Will most likely keep it and get it fixed. Thanks for the insight !

Yes I bought it used in VERY good condition so unfortunately the age of it made it depreciate fast.

Good point

Depreciation is only an issue when you sell it. We usually drive our vehicles for 12 to 14 years. At that point, depreciation is not a big deal.

2 Likes