Advice on what to do with my Jeep

I have paid over a thousand for same. There is a lot more to it than just bolting on a new part. The system has to be emptied cleaned, parts replaced, checked for leaks etc. and it is not cheap. You have to ask if you want AC or not and that’s the price but you don’t need to do it at a dealer-just a good AC shop. But don’t make the mistake of a used one like I did.

3 Likes

Your Jeep is not worth $8000 with a broken AC and you won’t know what they are actually giving you for it on a trade in unless you negotiate a clean deal without trade price first. I am betting no dealer is going to actually give you $4000 the way the car sits now.

1 Like

Stupid question, did you already check to make sure it’s the a/c and not just one of the vent system doors in the wrong place? That’s happened to a few people with Chrysler stuff - the a/c works fine but the “doors” don’t move right and the result is you’re getting heat.

1 Like

Do this First, Open the Hood, Start the Car and put the A/C on. Look under the hood and check to see if the compressor is running. You will know whether or not the Compressor is running by looking at the center of the pulley. If the center is not moving and the outside is moving then either the fuse on the compressor has blown , or the pressure sensor is not allowing the clutch to engage. If it is moving and the blower is just moving Hot air then you have a bad compressor. The next Step is to spend about $35.00 on a recharge kit. It contains 20 oz of R134A , a connection hose , and most importantly a pressure gauge . Watch a Youtube video and hook up the can to your A/C port and see what happens. If the compressor clutch engages and a minute or two later you get cold air coming out , then you are "repaired " ,at least temporarily . If no cold air is coming out and the gauge is showing pressure , then you are pretty sure that the compressor is dead.
I had the same problem 2 years ago on my Dad’s 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis with 33,000 miles. It just needed some refrigerant .
So buying and hooking up the refrigerant kit tells you two things , one if you don’t need to add any refrigerant then the Compressor is Shot, and two , the good news is that the system is leak free and your A/C mechanic can suck out the refrigerant , replace the compressor, and put the refrigerant back in.
$1,500.00 sounds really steep for a compressor swap, so keep shopping, and don’t be afraid of using a quality aftermarket compressor.

1 Like

A compressor is not a cheap part.

1 Like

I will check that this weekend

Thank you for all the info. I will do that this weekend to check

… or cluch-pack is worn out.

to test for that, you have to check if electrical signal to engage indeed reaches to the clutch, and if yes, eBay is your friend for the replacement part.

if replacing clutch-pack, note it often has a small height-calibrated washer which people tend to miss when reassembling, the clutch ill not properly engage without it

I’d get a second opinion. You may just be low on refrigerant. Some AC techs don’t like to recharge a system that is low because their may be a leak, but the reason it could be low is that the seals dried out because you didn’t use the AC all winter.

The AC should run when ever you are in defrost mode and some vehicles turn it on automatically when you select defrost, but some of those do not select AC if the defrost is in the floor/windshield position instead of full windshield.

If you did not run the AC at least once a month over the winter, the AC tech may be more comfortable with just recharging the AC as long as there is a little pressure in the system.

I had same issue with my Buick Enclave. It had a slow leak. You can simply try refilling freon at a reputable shop that is AC certified. For my last refill it costed $110 with tax for about 1 lb of freon. That’s what most folks do every summer when you don’t wanna fix the AC. Or refill the AC with freon and then sell it.