Adding Lane Keep Assist!

EDIT: OP posted while I was composing this reply that the dealer is adding the feature.

@Caleb_Johnson Keep in mind that adding this requires messing with existing computerized electronic functions of your vehicle. The multitude of computer controlled electronic functions in today’s vehicles are complex and integrated such that adding post production features has a high rate of negative unintended consequences even when done by professionals. Even adding an alarm system often creates problems.

Also, given how complicated it apparently is to add you most likely will end up voiding the warranty on your vehicle.

On the face of it, it appears your two best options are either trade in your vehicle for one that has this desired feature or keep the vehicle you like and do without this feature.

No, I’m not a perfect driver, but my solution to distractions is to mitigate them. For example, I position my GPS above my dashboard so I don’t have to look down to see what is on the screen.

There are a few things that separate you and me:

1. I can disagree with you without cursing or making it personal.

2. I don’t use straw man arguments in an attempt to redefine other people’s arguments and make them easier to attack.

3. …and most relevant, if I need to reset my GPS, I will either use a voice command or pull over to do it, because that’s far easier and far safer than disengaging from driving while speeding down the road.

We can disagree on the topic without making it personal. Don’t start none, won’t be none.

Logical-Fallacies-strawman-620x391 (1)

5 Likes

When I added accessories to late model vehicles I used to add those features into the manufactures data base for the vehicle so that the accessory would have the same warranty as the rest of the vehicle. Adding factory accessories won’t void the warranty.

1 Like

We need to know where the OP live’s so we would not be on the same road’s,

1 Like

@Nevada_545 I didn’t know that. Thank you for the information. “Learn something new everyday.” :slightly_smiling_face:

If it is worth $2000 to you go for it. I spend money on things that are worth it to me, starbucks whole coffee beans instead of folgers etc. For many folgers is just fine. Sure folgers drinkers think I am wasting my money, but to me I am buying a little happiness in my life. If this brings you happiness for $2,000 I hope you enjoy it.

4 Likes

If the OP get’s upset on a forum that easy I wonder how well he will handle roar rage?

1 Like

I get it. You’re willing to pay whatever it takes for extra help. What I fail to understand is why a lane departure warning is inadequate in that scenario. Can you explain that to me without attacking me or anyone else?

3 Likes

I recommend letting out a loud roar. It’s cathartic.

2 Likes

There are millions of vehicles on the road with this feature so it might be best if you just stay home.

Lane assist is sort of like a back seat driver nagging each time you get close to a white line painted on the road.

1 Like

There are a few things that separate us?

1. You pretended I murder people with my vehicle (or more specifically, that I operate my vehicle unsafely) which couldn’t be further from the truth.

2. You DO use Ad Hominem attacks, along with Perfectionist Fallacy and Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc Fallacy.

3. My phone is mounted above my dashboard.

But hey, you can keep on assuming things you don’t know, or pretend like you know even the slightest of how I drive. So far you’ve only made yourself look more asinine.

I bet you wouldn’t be able to guess in a million years my driving skill level.

I’ve done stunt driving as well as racing for a living in the past. I bet I could drive in my sleep better than you can drive wide awake… once again in case you guys missed it… Lane Keep Assist is a NICE-TO-HAVE. I’m glad the good-natured non-judgmental people of this forum have shed their rays of sunshine down upon me though, we are now all better for it.

1 Like

And for once, you asked a valid question. Why do I want Lane Keep Assist and not just departure warning? Because I think it’s cool. Literally no other reason. I like to have the bragging rights when I show off my car. Same reason someone gets that cool paint job they’ve been wanting, or adds lights to their vehicle. I fail to see why everyone needs to attack me for wanting it, but hey, to each their own.

Also, not that I HAVE to defend myself, but I don’t get road rage at all. I drive religiously 2 miles over the speed limit max and I’ve never had a ticket. But you guys sure do love your assumptions…

1 Like

Hi @Caleb_Johnson. A couple of folks flagged your posts for profanity, and I agreed with the flags for that reason. However, I do agree with you that it was unwarranted that some folks assumed you want to abdicate responsibility for paying attention while driving. You didn’t say that. This is a common feature that I’ve heard about on lots of new cars. My take is, if you want it and you’ve got the money, go for it. It doesn’t hurt me.

Please, guys, don’t assume that someone is trying to be lazy/inattentive/dangerous because he wants a car feature. You are judging people you’ve never met by some words on a screen. remember that. If Caleb wants it and you’ve got something constructive, share. Thanks to those who answered the question.

4 Likes

Thank you, cdaquila

Oh, also, I dislike lane departure warning because 9 times out of 10 it’s too sensitive and ends up irritating the driver. Lane Keep Assist, on the other hand, can help you stay centered if there is a momentary distraction. And if you want to pretend you never ever have any momentary distractions in a vehicle with 2 young kids, you’re fooling yourself. Even just looking in your rear view mirror is enough to let you drift a little bit. But forgive me for being realistic in the realization that anyone can drift in a vehicle, you don’t have to be a bad driver to do so.

1 Like

It would be nice if you edit or delete your flagged posts .

Just finished.

@Barkydog, my friend, language! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s a lie. I never said anything of the sort.

That’s also not true. I merely suggested that if your goal is to disengage from the act of driving, full disengagement is safer than partial disengagement. For whatever reason, you took that personally.

I have neither attacked you nor assumed anything. I merely followed a logical path based on your original post.

I get it. You disagree with my take on your question. That’s fine with me. We can agree to disagree. There is no need to lie about what we can read in print above.

2 Likes