Acura TL Timing belt replacement

I have a 2000 TL with only 59,800 miles. I bought it new and have maintained it perfectly. I have driven it roughly 2/3 city and 1/3 hwy miles. At my last service I was advised that it is recommended that the timing belt be changed at 7 years or 100,000 miles. This is an expensive job. I am thinking about selling the car soon and want to do so with a good conscience. Given the car’s history, do I really need to replace the timing belt before I sell, or can it safely be put off a year or two?

Thanks in advance for thoughts

If your selling the car simply mention its due for a timing belt replacement. It is due right now irregardless of your driving style.

Sorry to disagree with the other respondent; but, it’s NOT due. It’s not due for two more years. You COULD tell a prospective buyer THAT. There’s is nothing to cloud your conscience. Sleep well.

The dealership may well be correct about a 7 year interval for the replacement of the timing belt, since rubber deteriorates with age. So, as with virtually all things automotive, the answer lies in your Owner’s Manual. If the Owner’s Manual specifies an interval of 7 years, then, yes it is due.

Do you have to notify prospective buyers of the need to replace the timing belt? Only if you consider yourself to be a moral person. Bad karma has a way of catching up with those who are not honest.

I would not be afraid to buy it from you and drive it till it had 100K. That would only be two more years for me. Check this out from Gates. http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=428-1466_web1.pdf&folder=brochure You’ll have to ZOOM in on it to read it on your screen. They say 105K for your car, and make no mention of a six year limit. They want to sell more belts, so I’d think they’s mention that if it were truly necessary.

Sell it, and sleep well.

Look in your owners manual, it will give you the interval. In 97, the interval was 7 years or 105k. Since rubber deteriorates with time, do not go past the time interval even if you don’t have the miles. It costs a bit because they replace the water pump as well as the front oil seals at the dealer.

If you are selling it soon, you can disclose the fact that it was or wasn’t changed depending on which way you decide to go. That will clear your conscience, but it may have an effect on the selling price. I think from an economic perspective, you will be money ahead to not do it and disclose. The hit for not having it done will be less than the cost of doing it.

Ask yourself: did the salesman that sold you this car new, I am assuming, tell you that it will eventually need a $500 timing belt job and that there are plenty of other brands that have more permanent timing chains or timing gears that do not need this service? You can do what Accura, Honda, Toyota, VW and salespeople for a few other brands do every day. Don’t mention the timing belt.

The guy that sold us one of our new VWs talked obout the timing belt only when we mentioned it first. For the other three new VWs, the timing belt was not called to our attention.

What about tires, brakes, exhaust, shocks, struts, fanbelt and other wear items? Will you inspect them and advise the new owner when they will need work? Too much of this and you may not sell the car.

it’s NOT due. It’s not due for two more years.

Frankly I don’t have any data, but it appears that it is now 7 years old and the manufacturer’s recommendation is seven years. Or do we have that wrong and the dealer is looking for ADP?

Where do you base your 10 year timing belt replacement on???

A terrible person would do this considering its due.