1997 Honda CRV Timing belt

My car, 1997 Honda CRV, runs fine and I am thinking of selling it and get a new car around this winter. I was told to change to timing belt, coming back from the 90,000-mile maintainace service. I am on a tight budget now and wondering how risky it is if I do not change.

Many thanks!

I’m puzzled why you are getting a new car when you are on a tight budget. Hondas last a very long time when properly cared for. Hondas have very good timing belts, but most have to be changed at 60,000 miles or so.

Whoever told you to change it was trying to help you avoid a very major expense resulting from a timing belt failure.

Many prospective customers, by the way, are now so well informed that they ask to see PROOF of the timing belt haviong been changed!

You’re trying to save money, yet you’re going to buy a new car???

It would be far cheaper to put in a new timing belt and keep the CRV.

And, even if you do plan to get rid of the car, if the timing belt (which is actually about 4 years overdue for replacement) does snap before you get rid of the car, you will be looking at a repair bill of perhaps $1,000.–$2,000. in addition to the cost of the timing belt replacement.

Since the belt is now so overdue for replacement, it could snap tomorrow. Not replacing it is foolish and is a good example of being “penny wise and dollar foolish”.

If you decide to sell the vehicle, tell the prospective buyer that the timing belt has NOT been changed.

Docnick states that people are now asking for documented PROOf that the timing belt has been changed, when so claimed by the seller. This is good. I, for one, have been advising this asking for proof, for a while. People have been “listening”.

Your are into the very risky portion of it breaking. It is 4 years overdue as it is a mileage or time (whichever) first item. It is usually done at the 7 year old mark in this vintage.

I implore you to tell the next owner about changing this, this turns your motor to junk in quick order especially a 11 year old CRV.

New car may be a different (used) car. There are many reasons that require a vehicle change. One prime example is the addition of a third child with your others in car sears. There is really no way around a getting upgraded into a better suited vehicle like large SUV, minivan or 7 passenger crossover.

“I am on a tight budget” and “thinking of selling it and getting a new car around this winter” are a bit…uh…how do you say? Confusing…

Anyway, the smart thing to do would be to immediately change the timing belt and then hold onto the car, because 225,000+ miles from a well-maintained CR-V should be no problem. Unless you just want something new-in which case you should still change the belt before you unload the car on some unsuspecting soul.