Accord not always starting

So ive been having a problem with my 2004 Honda Accord. It on occasion doesnt start. I’m talking about once a month I run into this problem. When I do have this problem, I turn the key and it cranks but doesn’t start. At the end of the crank I get a scratching noise. My alternator, spark plugs and battery are all fairly new (4 months old) and oem. I’m thinking it’s the fuel pump failing. Any ideas as to what the problem is and how I would check it? Thanks

I’m having a similar problem with my 94 accord but my problem is the ignition switch/maybe the wiring harness to the ignition switch still working on it to find out

The fuel pump relay is a common failure on older Accords.

Turn the key to Run (not all the way to Start) and listen for the fuel pump - it should run for a few seconds. Turn the key to Off, then back to Start and listen again. If the fuel pump runs, then you know the fuel pump runs.

Do this process a couple times, then turn the key all the way to Start. Does the car start? If so, you may have hit upon the solution to the no-start problem. This has worked on my 1999 Honda Civic. The problem seems most acute when the fuel level is low. This process has always worked for me.

I would have a fuel pressure test done on your Accord. It could be a failing fuel pump or it might be a bad fuel pressure regulator. I would replace the fuel pump relay in any event as @insightful has already mentioned since they are not that expensive.

If you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds each time you turn the key to Run you can rule out the relay. The relays are more likely to fail when the car’s interior is very hot. If the “key dance” I describe above does the trick that may be that you need to do, unless you need to tell other drivers the process.