Accidentally went into manual without noticing

As another poster suggested, pick up an OBDII scanner (On Board Diagnostic) from Walmart. It’s a tool you can use to see what the car’s computer is doing. You will be able to check error codes and get a better handle on what is going on with your car.

That said, I wouldn’t drive it at all if there’s a chance you have an oil issue.

Great “expert” advice

this is almost a year later but i just got back on this account and i saw this reply and wanted to say you are correct! oil pump failed causing no oil to my engine, engine seized and i had to replace it. sad times was about $2700 after everything. and no i wasn’t a “MAGA troll” just a guy who knows close to nothing about cars.

1 Like

I would have thought that a 2011 VW Jetta would have a rev limiter on it. Even the diesel.

1 Like

i was thinking it would’ve had it too

Sorry about that remark and about judging you so harshly I had no business doing that my apologies.

1 Like

VW idiot oil light has a low pressure at idle and also the light will light up if you don’t make sufficient press at 2000 rpm or above. I had a golf and I had the oil light come on even though I was at higher than idle rpms. I dropped the pan and measured the pump clearances and one of them was out of tolerance.