Accelerator Jerk

I have a 97 Geo Prizm with 160K miles. While driving, when I release the accelerator pedal, the car often (but not always) makes a loud click and a slight jerk. It is particularly noticeable if the pedal is released quickly. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Phillip

I knew a soda jerk once…

Are you talking about a jerk in the steering, or the whole car, or what. Does it also do it when you step back down on the pedal, or is too underpowered to notice? If so, I’d suspect a motor mount.

The whole car jerks slightly. I haven’t noticed the noise or the jerk when stepping on the pedal, only when releasing it. I’ll ask about the engine mount next time I take the car in for an oil change.

Is this an automatic or a manual?

If you take the car to “Quicky Lube” for its oil changes, don’t bother asking about motor mounts. The people at those places are barely capable enough to know where to put motor oil, trans fluid, etc., thus leading to the fairly frequent postings on this board about engines, transmissions and differentials that were destroyed by the ineptness of Quicky Lube employees.

On the other hand, if you go to a REAL mechanic’s establishment for your oil changes, then you should definitely ask to have the motor mounts inspected.

It’s an automatic.